August Bank holiday

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I'm heading up to Strata Florida this coming Tuesday, leaving the lovely Pembrokeshire village to ride my Roberts Phantom accompanied by my old dog in his Bob Ibex trailer..
I'm finally getting to test this pile of stuff I've collected these last few years..
Mrs Careless and co will join me up there on Friday using the van but once we're loaded head round the corner to Elan valley village, park up and all of us saddle up and head into the Wilds..
First time they've ever done biketouring, luckily she has the Overbury's and the boy has a decent Frog bike ( he not yet 7 and is definitely a cross country biker) with a little bikepacking outfit.

Hoping the bothy up there are clear to stop overnight but have tents so can do that if necessary

Any RBers done the Elan Valley?

Re:

Yep, done alot of Wales when I lived in The 'Diff back in the late 80s/early 90s. Loves it. The Elan is wild but beautiful. Remember cycling up to the Brecons and Elan one bank holiday. We set off from The 'Diff Friday tea time, going mostly off road up the Taff to Merthyr. It was getting dark by Merthyr and was raining. We decided to stop and pitched a tent in the rain somewhere. In the morning, we realised we'd pitched by the bottom right corner of Pontsticill Reservoir. Saturday we continued through the Brecons to Elan to pitch camp again in drizzle. Sunday was better. We rode in brilliant sunshine going back to The 'Diff on the Monday :facepalm:

In recent years, me and the missus (part Welsh) have had many driving trips to Wales, visiting the Royal Welsh and the Smallholders Show, amongst other things. Must do it again soon.

Nice.
Hoping that the ride will distract me from forgetting I had a bid on a Mint Sauce top yesterday, too busy packing :-(
I would have upped my bid as it's the first I had seen in my size.

Oh well

Re:

Went riding round Elan Valley last year (and hoping to go again next year). Couldn't do a lot because it was basically a refresher course for my dad after he hadn't ridden for a lot of years but even he enjoyed it. Some of the views around the reservoirs are spectacular.

joe careless":1nq7sqvk said:
Switched the plan around, we all go together to the Elan valley and I ride back

That way it's all down hill to home!

I really miss my days in Wales. Would love to do something like the CyB, along with Mayhem one day. However, I agreed to join some mates at work on October 1st doing a charity ride that takes in all the Thames bridges, zig-zagging from one river bank to the other. I found out there's a sweep stake on each of us, with me rated 2nd place at best. I think they'll be in for a surprise as I do most of the bridges route everyday as part of my commute across London...

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":1eimp2v2 said:
Went riding round Elan Valley last year (and hoping to go again next year). Couldn't do a lot because it was basically a refresher course for my dad after he hadn't ridden for a lot of years but even he enjoyed it. Some of the views around the reservoirs are spectacular.

The Elan, and beyond, are utterly spectacular, beautiful and bleak all at the same time. There's nothing much round there and most of the roads are like tracks.

Once stayed in what seemed like the remotest/most isolated valley near Rhayader one Spring which was "awesome". Went past a wooded hillside nearby early evening and saw an almost ultra violet glow coming from a carpets of bluebells.

Just repacked her panniers, mine weigh a tonne, and I'm glad part of it will be left in the van when I set off solo, but they need down sleeping bags!!

Back