What turntable?

Re:

Rega have a good range to suit all pockets & are British too. Older models can be picked up cheap if cosmetics aren't 100%. I've got an old Planar 2 with an RB300 arm. This same arm was fitted to several turntables running into the thousands & there's lots of upgrade options too.

Re:

The Regas look great,the Planar 1 is not too bad price wise.The Jap stuff would be great Im sure but my brother is too much of a beard.I`d say he would like the Rega.

mkone":mkkzn0s6 said:
Upgraded cables are often overlooked but also worth considering.

Cables dont do anything unless theres something wrong. Just use good quality cables with clean connections.

legrandefromage":1oirfukj said:
mkone":1oirfukj said:
Upgraded cables are often overlooked but also worth considering.

Cables dont do anything unless theres something wrong. Just use good quality cables with clean connections.

A bold statement, just like mine :)

Not to get too deep but good old fashioned physics - that stuff that made the Universe kind of rules over what some bearded urk in some magazine writes - means that a properly shielded cable from the interconnects supplied in the box to pretty coloured £20 things will all perform exactly the same. Anything else is pure fresh bullshit.

Here's a steaming example: http://www.analogueseduction.net/catego ... 8QQAvD_BwE

legrandefromage":1epqc6yg said:
Anything else is pure fresh bullshit.

Here's a steaming example: http://www.analogueseduction.net/catego ... 8QQAvD_BwE

The transmission speed of the cable is extremely fast, at over 96% the speed of light.

Which means what exactly...it takes 0.00000001216 seconds to travel down the 3.5m cable? I've never measured my cables, but I now realise that what I listen to, is older than it needs to be. If my cables can only achieve 50% light speed it could be nearly 0.00000002335 seconds old by the time it gets to the speaker. Please don't depress me any more by explaining how long the sound transmission in air will take... :D

More importantly, what cables to use during a hyperspace jump? I've got a Kessel Run to do, and don't want my tunes to be impacted by travelling faster than the speed of light.

Less than 12 parsecs? Totally buggers the Womble factor.

Now which one's the rumble filter and the scratch filter...

legrandefromage":1iadnrk5 said:
Linns are way overpriced. Just about any good Japanese deck from the last 40 years will be good - as above with a new cartridge.

I'd agree with that I've had a Rega for years, but my old Pioneer PL512 is a good deck too - was my first quality deck a lifetime ago !

Jon.

I forgot about Regas in all honesty. Just make sure you get the right belt, ebay ones slip despite being sold as the 'proper' belts :facepalm:

Direct drives are lovely too. I am lucky enough to have TWO Technics SL-1500 MK2

I can speak from experience of rega's recent rp1. A very competent out of the box turntable at around £170

Have stuck an rb300 arm, elys cartridge, glass platter, white rega belt and thicker mat on it. Now it feels more like my old one from way back when. Not sure how much difference it all made but some.

Back