What turntable?

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My brother recently got a lovely Marantz system with cool Mission speakers,the entire system looks to be late 90s ish.He`d like a nice turntable,nothing too fancy but decent enough.Any of the audiophiles here have any recommendations?

Re:

As with most hifi, it depends on your wallet!

I had a Pro-Ject Debut turntable for a while (probably over 15 years ago now) and it was great for the price. They do various versions and some with phono pre-amp (if the amplifier doesn't have a phono stage, then you need a pre-amp).

I replaced that with a second hand Linn (Axis, not LP12 unfortunately) which has been a really good turntable despite being probably 30 years old.

All I'd suggest is to stay clear of the cheapest decks which can be a bit plastic, and get a new needle if you are buying second hand, as you don't want to ruin the first few records you play!

I love listening to vinyl, so heartily recommend taking the plunge.

Re:

I'd also recommend Pro-Ject. But bear in mind the quality of the cartridge, - a cheaper turntable with a nice cartridge and/or arm will often sound better than a more expensive model with a crappy one.

Linns are way overpriced. Just about any good Japanese deck from the last 40 years will be good - as above with a new cartridge.

Dazza on LFGSS has a thread selling used hi fi stuff, not stupidly cheap but never seems to get many complaints.

Re:

legrandefromage":2eg4vvh4 said:
Linns are way overpriced. Just about any good Japanese deck from the last 40 years will be good - as above with a new cartridge.

This - A very good mate of mine has a Technics SL-BD22, and it's a cracking bit of kit. I've not known anything go wrong with it at all. More things have dropped off my Vestax decks which are significantly younger!

legrandefromage":11qb4a89 said:

I wouldn't disagree right now, but in 2002 the price for an Axis (£100) was pretty good and 15 years later I can't complain!

As already mentioned above. Technics are reliable, as are some Pioneer decks. If you are looking at more specific decks then the cartridge is probably the most important part to consider.

Personally i would look for a half decent Jap deck to go with the system mentioned. Upgraded cables are often overlooked but also worth considering.

Back