cyclist who knocked over and killed

Re:

I just read them both and neither says on what it happened, the road or on a footpath or a crossing or a mountain or a cycle-path/way/road

So anything else is an assumption.

If it was a cycle path (mentioned above) that is no excuse.
Pedestrian have every right to walk on a cycle path (unfortunately).

He says he takes full responsibility for his actions. His actions where to ride an illegal road going bike (I assume the same is for cycle paths) not going at a speed he could stop at.
He should take responsibility for his actions then, that is killing someone accidentally.

The pedestrian has every legal right to be blind or not concentrating on what they are doing, they are not banned from using phones while walking.

Of course he has to take the full responsibility for his actions. But an accident is still an accident as tragic this is. We all didnt know the real circumstances under which this had happened but still, the fact that he was riding a fixed gear bicycle can not be the major point. Somewhen last year a young man (maybe 18 as well) rode next to a bus on the station, people went out of the bus and he accientally hit an older fellow who died shortly after due to his severe head injuries - the bike was a normal bike with two brakes... What I want to say is: dont blame the bicycle. It could have happened on any bike.

Re:

This is a terribly tragedy, and you can only feel the deepest sympathy for the family of the victim, but why is this story more newsworthy than the hundreds of people that lose their lives every year when hit by motor vehicles, yet who are only mentioned in the media as statistics.

Re:

It's not more important, it's different that's all.

Same old same old isn't newsworthy unless it's some celeb walking out a shop sort of thing or is wearing some new clothes.

The fixed bike IS important in the case as they are illegal for road use. Without knowing the setup of all this, I know a brake can be pulled faster than you can think, it may have helped. Especially as he managed to shout to her first, so plenty of time to reduce speed quicker.

Ok, its a nasty accident. Nothing more can be read into it other than a collision between two people. Nasty as the lady suffered catastrophic head injuries - very sad and unfortunate.

What is 'newsworthy' is the guys attitude - that is pretty bad in itself

...and then we have the bike.

If it had been a moped, not news worthy enough, a car wouldnt have even made much more than the local pages.

Now, its a 'fixy' - something for somebody somewhere to get hysterical about and drum up the the froth and wrath of outraged from Surbition.

What if it had been a 'E-bike'?

What about a much faster road bike rider?

All it does is froth up the hysterical and completely skew the facts regardless of vehicle.

It sucks that people killing others in their cars get let off with buggerall when they are in charge of two tons of metal yet some stupid sod on a 20lb bicycle gets the wrath of the media. Some faceless minister will then be rolled out stating 'we will crack down on something or other' yet the car will be let off again leaving the cyclist as the demon of road and pathway and no proper solution to keeping pedestrians out of harms way.

My gut feeling is that a brake would not have made a difference...from what I understand the cyclist had enough time to shout at the pedestrian twice, that time could have been spent slowing down or taking evasive action. He didn't. This is only speculation, but I think he was cycling with attitude, perhaps we have all done it. Brushed close past someone to 'make a point' when we could have slowed or taken a different line. The only time I have hit a pedestrian HARD (in my courier days) was when one walked dirrectly out fom behind a parked bus. He came out of it worse than me and it would have made no difference if I had a brake or not. There was simply no time to react, I think this cyclist probably did have time to react.
A tragic accident which, with speculation, the cyclist could have avoided. The brake issue is
redundant.

Harryburgundy":1s56wt2a said:
My gut feeling is that a brake would not have made a difference...from what I understand the cyclist had enough time to shout at the pedestrian twice, that time could have been spent slowing down or taking evasive action. He didn't. This is only speculation, but I think he was cycling with attitude, perhaps we have all done it. Brushed close past someone to 'make a point' when we could have slowed or taken a different line. The only time I have hit a pedestrian HARD (in my courier days) was when one walked dirrectly out fom behind a parked bus. He came out of it worse than me and it would have made no difference if I had a brake or not. There was simply no time to react, I think this cyclist probably did have time to react.
A tragic accident which, with speculation, the cyclist could have avoided. The brake issue is
redundant.
+1

And in this speculation: his attitude made him an disrespectful asshole (but who wasnt with 18!) but from a legal perspective it still was an accident and not an attempted murder, although he rode an "illegal" bicycle... The family of the woman has to suffer a tragic loss and the young man has to live his whole life with the knowledge of having killed her.

As father and cyclist I dont want to be in any of this situatiuons.

the young man has to live his whole life with the knowledge of having killed her.

[/quote]

I agree with 99% of whats been said. But i think this knob is already over this fact. Perhaps if he reaches our ages then he will look back and realise what a f**king bastard he was and his attitude stinks. If he still riding like this then i don't think he will make 25 let alone 50+

tintin40":2em5q6nk said:
the young man has to live his whole life with the knowledge of having killed her.

I agree with 99% of whats been said. But i think this knob is already over this fact. Perhaps if he reaches our ages then he will look back and realise what a f**king bastard he was and his attitude stinks. If he still riding like this then i don't think he will make 25 let alone 50+[/quote]
That could be true...

Back