DR10 on my Driving license and employment

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, back in 2014 life went tits up and whilst I was in the pub someone tried nicking my van filled with bike tools and couple of grand worth of bikes, I moved the van to park it somewhere more secure and got caught.
Yes I was over the limit and not thinking sensibly, I had just lost my business courtesy of a backstabbing barsteward of a business partner and my ex was continuing to prevent proper access to my daughter contrary to court order.

I was sentenced for 12 month driving ban but did the alcohol awareness course, should be part of getting a driving license learnt a lot, and my sentence was reduced to 9 months.
It gave me time to ride my bikes a lot, write lots and patch myself up

So now we're in 2017, I have a great loving partner I've spent the last year fighting for my daughter in family court and we have won massively improved access.
Now I want a regular job have applied to loads and now find that the I ain't getting to interview, and the other day a friend whom had recommended me for a post was told that despite the company's rehabilitation of offenders policy the management refused my application because of my driving ban ( I add that it's my only offence, not even a speeding ticket) and I'm glad that my friend thought it was ridiculous and he's management too!

What sucks is a driving ban isn't classed as spent for 5 years so I have to keep adding it to my job applications.

It's crap that a error of judgement, losing a business I had invested in excess of £20k let alone hours of energy, and the continued poor behaviour of my daughter's mother keeps following me like shit on my shoulder.

I just need a regular job to allow my young family a dad that is less worried about where the next carpenters contract is coming from and feeling relaxed enough to go riding for pure pleasure than justified therapy.

I dont know what I can do but I do find myself wondering why I spent a few years serving my country because I no longer recognise it or how it looks after us

Re:

That's a real shitty thing. DR10 stays on a license for 11 years.

We have had a number of employees with DR10s, no one should be suffering years after a mistake most of us have made and got caught, and most of the rest of us have made but just didn't get caught.

It shouldn't prevent you gaining employment, but if the job entails driving it is likely the company's insurance that is the problem. Thus they probably just reject applicants on that basis, rather than bothering how you happened to end up with a DR10.

All I could suggest is setting up again for yourself and subcontracting. You can lease hire vans, and likewise lease tools if required. You could also try adding a covering letter to applications explaining the circumstances of your conviction. In my view, one offence against a clean background makes you a better bet than many who have multiple convictions for driving offences that may not have added up to a ban.

Re:

sounds like you are having a hard time
get your name down with agencys im still getting calls\texts 6 years after starting with a company
work is out there :D

My colleague was employed regardless of his drink driving ban so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Can you not start up on your own again? I know you need money straight away but at least you wont get silly middle management. My neighbour was sacked and now operates a fairly decent general maintenance company of his own.

Agencies are ok for short term work but for every good one theres scammers so take some time and ask around first.

Any good with car electrics? I know of a company gagging for workers, stay with them a few months (they are shit but its regular work) and use the experience to get a better job.

Back