Photobucket - Arrrrghhh!

Re:

I've just deleted my account too. Flickr has been working well for me for a good while now, I got fed up with the slowness and bombardment of photobucket ads a while ago so moved over. The best thing I've seen is that photobucket want you to read their new terms but they get covered by an advert.

Another lost customer for them. Maybe they will learn but I suspect they won't survive long.

Been meaning to set up my own site anyway so here's a push in that direction. Just need to research some good free hosting and I'm there. Any suggestions?

Re:

Where do they get the $400 from ffs ...is it a typo? should it be $3.99 ... Id still be miffed at paying that tho haha ... Well, so long PB!!

My PB account is OK until Dec 2018, however after that it could well be a problem.

I think the goons in charge will have to have a rethink on this, as it's basically blackmail. Directing user straight to the top level account is not on.

Personally I think they will cave in and come up with a compromise. ( I hope!)

I have nearly 20,000 images on there (48Gb of files) Linked to all sorts of forums...

Chances are they will take the money from those foolish enough to pay and then shut down/file for bankruptcy shortly afterwards.
They've not done anything to improve their offering in years and would have no reason to if they loose almost all their customers except those totally tied to the site.

There is no business model that works by alienating 90% of your customers so much they leave and then collecting a stupidly high fee from those forced to remain while major players like Google or Flickr offer a free service.

Easy_Rider":bpq31q03 said:
Isn't there a danger that other photo hosting sites will start charging sometime in the future? I've setup a simple sharing site on my own hosting to see how I get on, at least I have full control over what happens to my photos..

Yes, they obviously all will eventually. It is an old buisness model used for years by countless other sites!

Ive been offered an upgrade at half price now, to the 500 account. Only $200!

Ive a feeling they will review that again.

OK...I had a few thousand pics on PB which I didn't fancy downloading individually...

This Chrome add-on has done the job for me, one folder at a time including sub-folders. :D
All done in 35mins over lunch, well worth the £1.29 for the paid version. The free version will only download public folders.

Photobucket Album Downloader (Unlimit)

Now to find somewhere else to host the pictures and go through my personal posts to restore the links :?

All the best,

Latest posts

Back