shed cladding advice please.

I have found the process of building my summerhouse very satisfying.
But I have stalled this week with work and the weather.
One thing I did find last week is to be very specific when ordering the wood.
When I ordered the wood for the back section, the part without windows or door, I ordered 3" x 2" wood.
When I ordered the wood for the front part with the windows and door I felt sick when they cut all the wood and brought out 4" x 2" wood. My bad.
But after some time thinking about this mistake, I have turned it into a positive and the mistake won't be visible from the outside and of minimal impact on the inside. And will be a lot stronger for the windows and door.
It's all very organic the way my summer house is progressing.
And this something coming from someone who had never worked with wood until I moved to my new home.

Regarding all that cladding going spare now. Maybe they could just build a massive bonfire on Nov 5th.

Looks like a good start.. Is that a first attempt rafter I see lurking behind? This was yet another area where I changed my mind about what to do the night before I actually did the job! I went for a ridge beam design to make it strong whilst keeping plenty of clear interior height.

ajm":2lph4hts said:
Looks like a good start.. Is that a first attempt rafter I see lurking behind? This was yet another area where I changed my mind about what to do the night before I actually did the job! I went for a ridge beam design to make it strong whilst keeping plenty of clear interior height.

The rafter behind was made from 3 x 2 " but when I ordered the wrong wood 4 x 2 " I decided to make them out of that wood.
Took a while to get them right but worked out well in the end.
I even managed to put some of the cladding on before the weather turned.

Attachments

• IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 541
Re:

Looking really good... I found a Swanson speed square brilliant for getting the roof right - once you figure out how to use it and decide on a roof pitch it's really easy to mark out the bird's mouth and the angles for either end.

Are you going to use felt on the roof? It doesn't survive long up here and I wanted a really traditional look so went with traditional profile galvanised "corrugated iron" - probably wouldn't suit your summerhouse though!

Re: Re:

ajm":1slrb6mk said:
Looking really good... I found a Swanson speed square brilliant for getting the roof right - once you figure out how to use it and decide on a roof pitch it's really easy to mark out the bird's mouth and the angles for either end.

Are you going to use felt on the roof? It doesn't survive long up here and I wanted a really traditional look so went with traditional profile galvanised "corrugated iron" - probably wouldn't suit your summerhouse though!

I am using the same floorboards for the roof, then I will be topping that off with cedar shingles.
I still need to make the door and windows.

Re: Re:

videojetman":7v829n6s said:
ajm":7v829n6s said:

I am using the same floorboards for the roof, then I will be topping that off with cedar shingles.
I still need to make the door and windows.

Use Rubber for the roof, I don't know the name of the exact stuff but my old man used it on his shed and garage roof after my brother put him on to it when he used it on his eco office. About twice the price of felt, but it lasts nearly 3x as long. Easy to fit too apparently. I used pressure treated tongue and groove cladding on my lean to with a 3x2 frame it's built like the proverbial. The membrane is a good idea and insulating in the cavities with Cellotex will keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.
I used Cellotex in my Garage for my home office and while it's freezing outside it stays quite toasty with just a 1.5k oil filled rad run at 1/2 power, in summer while the garage cooks I open a window and am quite cool. You'll need a layer on the floor too but it will comfortably support quite a bit of weight.

Going to build out the other half of my garage later in the year as an autumn project as I want to keep my disco kit free from damp this winter.

Carl.

My dad built a shed out of old pallets then covered the whole thing in roofing felt, worked a treat, not the most warm inside building however

Back