shed cladding advice please.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i am building a new summer house, i have built the frame.
i am now ready to order the cladding.
i am going to be using loglap tongue & groove.
my main question is this.
is it best to use a water proof layer before fixing the cladding ?
also what is best to use for fixing, screws or nails ?
any advice very welcome.
my other plan going forward is to insulate the summer house and clad the inside.
jeff.

I would use nails, less chance of splitting (assuming you're not going to pre-drill holes for screws) and a more tidy job when done. If you use a membrane I would think you'd need to leave an airgap behind the cladding, otherwise it'll trap moisture against the rear of the wooden cladding and rot it from the inside out.

When I built mine last year (summerhouse / garden office, fully insulated) I used ply sheeting over the frame, breathable membrane over the ply, horizontal battens, then vertical larch boards. With 50mm Celotex inside the wall, ply on the inside face and then lined with thin tongue and groove v-boarding inside it's been really cosy even throughout our winter!

ajm":2oliby3u said:
I would use nails, less chance of splitting (assuming you're not going to pre-drill holes for screws) and a more tidy job when done. If you use a membrane I would think you'd need to leave an airgap behind the cladding, otherwise it'll trap moisture against the rear of the wooden cladding and rot it from the inside out.

When I built mine last year (summerhouse / garden office, fully insulated) I used ply sheeting over the frame, breathable membrane over the ply, horizontal battens, then vertical larch boards. With 50mm Celotex inside the wall, ply on the inside face and then lined with thin tongue and groove v-boarding inside it's been really cosy even throughout our winter!

got any photo's ?
interested in seeing the finished job.
jeff.

Re:

Got loads from most stages of the build, but to give the general idea;

and interior;

Thanks! It is very cosy, once the weather warmed up I was glad I made the windows opening (the skylight opens too though I didn't make that... it was about the only major component that I bought, the rest was nearly all done the masochist hand-tool only way!)

videojetman":tl06nbr7 said:
Nice job. Hope mine can be as nice.
I am even planning to make my own windows and door.

I found that a relatively time consuming but very satisfying part of the build. I didn't use any fancy hardwoods, just CLS mostly... the beaded boards in the lower panel of the door were made from leftover larch cladding offcuts but the rest of the door was all CLS. I was a bit worried about it swelling or warping but thankfully it's all been fine even throughout the winter when our hardwood front door has changed shape with every rain shower.

I have loads of pictures from building door/windows etc too if you need inspiration once you get going... I didn't really plan any of these in detail, just had a look on the web to see what other people had done then did something totally different anyway!

Are you going for single or double glazing?

Find a double glazing firm's skip. Seriously, you can get all the doors and windows you need free! Nice to do your own, of course, just saying.

Re:

I'll bet you can snag all the cladding you'll ever need for free, from all the towers that they have to strip and redo (because of that flammable cladding danger) ...

I mean, for a shed ... no big deal - right?

;)

Latest posts

Back