Why do you ride?

Re:

When I was a kid bikes were just a way to get from A to B and back for free... then came mopeds, then came motorbikes, then came cars.

In my 20's I began training in Martial Arts and a few years later I was the instructor in charge of two groups, and needed to stay fitter than the fit b*ggers I was training, including some professional soldiers and so someone suggested a mountain bike... I was soon hooked.

Then work and family and work and work got in the way until in January 2012 I was made redundant. As I had a little time while I was job hunting and as the weather was nice, from the back of the garage was dragged my 'best bike' from 1994/5/6 and I suddenly discovered cycling for the sake of cycling.

Now I ride for the solitude and the pleasure of the pain and to push myself and to get fit and to get fitter and to own cool old steel bikes and to occasionally meet and ride with like minded people.

But mostly I ride because I like lycra.

Re: Re:

NeilM":24ub1qv5 said:
No, well, not in a training group or organisation any more.

I see, just wondered as I still do K/Boxing (in a small capacity) after dabbling in a few styles over the last decades. It seems the more I cycle the worse my leg flexibility gets :?

Re: Re:

widowmaker":1vcky6zx said:
I see, just wondered as I still do K/Boxing (in a small capacity) after dabbling in a few styles over the last decades. It seems the more I cycle the worse my leg flexibility gets :?
Yes that's the trade off, but your leg and core strength improve as does your cardio vascular fitness / capacity. I could do a tough kumite bout and be a bit puffed when my opponent (who was usually younger) was absolutely creased.

Re:

I've been into bikes since I was a kid.
Still have memories of being around 10 years old hanging about on BMXs on summer holiday evenings, the smell of the warm tarmac at dusk and the feelings of freedom and happiness.

In a way it's still the same; escape, awareness, simplicity and playing.
Mountain biking is fun, challenging and the chance to get lost in nature.
Road biking is meditation, purity, speed, escape and the pursuit of goals.

Always been on 2 wheels more than 4. I haven't owned a car for decades simply because 2 wheels have always put a smile on my face in a way 4 wheels do not

Re:

I this is an 'old' thread but I ride for many reason, one is to get out in the fresh air and recharge myself before going back home to put my care giver hat back on and face the day, being on the bike is the only way I have found to release stress which make me a much better carer. I love my bikes I really do.
Pat

Back