Can you use washing up liquid

Re:

I wouldn't use it myself due to the corrosive salty stuff getting into the nooks & cranny's of pins & rollers but........ Finish Line wet chain lube is green coloured & smells just like washing up liquid :shock:

Re:

About every 2 months or so I degrease my chain with automotive degreaser, also the rest of the bike, too. Spray it on, wait 15 minutes, then spray it off with clean water from a hose. Lastly a fresh lube of 30 weight motor oil and a good wipe off with a rag so it doesn't attract dirt and it's all good...

i used washing up liquid this time. White spirit next time. pleased with the results. Think i'll pimp the mech with TI parts next

Attachments

• clean.JPG
    clean.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 519
FWIW, some of the chain cleaning tools get *really* brittle if you use anything too corrosive/aggressive in them.
My 2 month old barbieri pretty much disintegrated after i used the wrong stuff.
With washing up liquid, i dilute (25% liquid at most) and then rinse *lots*.

mattr":2rnr6an1 said:
FWIW, some of the chain cleaning tools get *really* brittle if you use anything too corrosive/aggressive in them.
My 2 month old barbieri pretty much disintegrated after i used the wrong stuff.
With washing up liquid, i dilute (25% liquid at most) and then rinse *lots*.

Good point.

I have in the past used an ultra sonic cleaner but a pikey version (no intention to offend pikey's but more of a shoestring build example.) Get a small square bucket/container, a flat sander and some bungy straps

Then place whatever your cleaning liquid of preference, put your bits into the liquid into the bucket and then using the bungy straps, secure the flat side of the sander to the outside of the bucket/container but below the liquid line, then turn on and leave for a few hours but check every now and again to make sure it is still secure.

I scrub all four sides in diesel/petrol hang it up to dry for a few day , wipe it down and oil it. I try and do them when they start to get noisy, which is maybe 150 miles with oil and under a hundred with wax[so I don't use wax anymore].
It takes about a week to clean a chain, that's why I need at least a few bikes.

Back