my modding decisions

Re:

...and there was me thinking this post was about justifying fitting new parts to an old, valuable retro bike!

Oh come on, get back to cycles........ :roll:

(gets coat and leaves)....

All the locked threads could be moved into a sub forum 'sin bin' rather than remaining on the front page.

I began the Grenfell Tower thread to allow a discussion on it that was not under the banner of a political thread, where it was being discussed originally. No intention to promote discord, my intention was to avoid the toxicity of party politics.

The identity cards thread was purely topical.

Grenfell is ongoing, and super topical.

If the preference is to remove anything that is by nature controversial, and of course everything is political, then go ahead and do it.

I manage to prune out divisive posts on various forums whilst running a business or two, taking care of a half dozen dependants, and many other activities. Rarely do I need to remove entire threads.

Painting with a broad brush is fine. Just do it, don't explain it.

Moderating should be a process that needs no explanation.

highlandsflyer":miqkeha4 said:
I manage to prune out divisive posts on various forums whilst running a business or two, taking care of a half dozen dependants, and many other activities. Rarely do I need to remove entire threads.

Painting with a broad brush is fine. Just do it, don't explain it.

Moderating should be a process that needs no explanation.

sorry i forgot that you are perfect :roll:

it warranted an explanation because you and others won't let things go unless you get to have your say, which is fine by me but some of you take it too far, as usual. perhaps you should go back to your cafe and continue crocheting etc.

Re:

Let's face it, after the stroppynes and fighting between the usual suspects recently, anyone starting another topic on any even remotely contentious topic would have been naive to think it wouldn't have gone any way other than downhill, and fast

I am glad that the mods stepped in when they / he did... but hf, may I suggest that if you have so much skill, capacity, experience and ability, then maybe you should step up and mod the lounge

Sometimes it depends what you think the usual suspects are, I look at threads since the mass lock and only one thread has been locked since then, For a few, that person maybe a usual suspect for many I suspect not but the end state was the same.

For the majority of the forum, a light delft touch works most of the time, but to assume the off topic section is the only place that blow ups happen is foolish, I can within my time remember many a big blow ups in the chat section and on many occasions, paint wars any one?, buying parts from another member and that member goes missing and campaigns are started against them only to find they have been very ill? The many times where people knowing members sales were not a place to be nasty in and yet sometimes you do wonder why nothing is said.

My point here is that once you get off your high horses, big blow ups happen in many parts of the forum. The off topic section however will see lively discussion because that is where lively discussion is supposed to be confined too. Even when you have a lively off topic section, some complain we have a lively off topic section

I do feel I need to touch on personal involvement. There are many threads I personally do not go into, some because I have no interest in, some because I may not like the main poster and some because I know it may take me beyond my normal ability to take part in a thread and not enjoy it. Some it seems lack that clarity but then go into a thread just to get wound up and lash out and blame others. There needs to be by some, thinking more honestly to themselves, is that a thread I want to go into?

As to the moddingI have privately pm'd so will generalise. Personally I'm disappointed the poll on the off topic section was locked as I feel it would have given us some answers.

Generally when you have a part of any forum that is lively need you need a mod that is a regular attender, you should also run that part with a gentle reminder you are there. See saw modding rarely works, in that absent for large periods then coming in all guns blazing and locking multiple threads often leaves behind great resentment.

A more noticeable successful working way tends to be popping in and saying, gents calm it down a bit or it will get locked, locking threads for 24 hours for a cool down to enforce the point, you get my drift and that is where the poll on the off topic would have helped to know what next. Some parts of every forum will always need more attention than others, it is the way for most of the forums we all use, and for those parts it works better when you have a mod who matches those needs

Is the off topic section lively? yes, do some people offer a lot to that section of the forum? yes, is it exclusive to those people only? no, should some people avoid them parts? Obviously

KDM":2g1ywdzb said:
For the majority of the forum, a light delft touch works most of the time,

My point here is that once you get off your high horses, big blow ups happen in many parts of the forum.

As to the modding I have privately pm'd so will generalise.

Generally when you have a part of any forum that is lively need you need a mod that is a regular attender

A more noticeable successful working way tends to be popping in and saying, gents calm it down a bit or it will get locked

Is the off topic section lively? yes, do some people offer a lot to that section of the forum? yes, is it exclusive to those people only? no, should some people avoid them parts? Obviously

"a light delft touch" doesn't work sometimes.

i don't ride horses, i ride bikes, thought you rode tractors? they're quite high up. perhaps you could crochet and relax while doing so.

as i said in the PM's, i am regular attender just not as regular with posting. you assume too much, and your statement is not generalised, it's aimed.

"gents calm it down", when tempers flare has saying "calm down" ever worked, er . . . no.

yes the section can be lively, of course it can, lively means lively, it doesn't mean be offensive or antagonise people.

I for one have never been to the Netherlands. My nan had a blue and white windmill made from the eponymous pottery from the town in question.

That's the only time I've touched any.

I would love to mod the G and Tonic section but you'd never allow that. My OCD and Asperger's would be a boon.

Latest posts

Back