Peat Cutting

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
A most relaxing, if physical, endeavour.

I particularly enjoyed collecting the peats, given I was head tractor driver from an early age.

We used to cycle up to the banks to do the turfing and cutting. Our banks were located in two distinct locations, one so boggy you could only get a tractor up to once the ground was dry or hard with the 'perma' frost. The other was much easier ground, but we stacked most of the peats in situ as they were destined for use nearby.

My father favoured the tushkar, a strenuous method of going about the business.

I see we really didn't think it through, even back then there were much better setups. Mind you, I bet we used much less fuel!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Hi_3pAfiQ[/youtube]

Them old tractors without power steering really made you know you had been on one after several hours

You have individual rear brakes, so you can dab one when needed over rough terrain. Your main problem is kick back from the wheel, which can break a thumb. Can still happen on power assisted units, so you never wrap your thumb around the wheel when off roading. Ideally! I miss my old Fergy! I had another one recently, but sold it after an offer I couldn't refuse.

Looking for another, there is nothing better for close quarters work.

Don't think I will ever cut peat again by hand though, it was an education but, like scything, something you don't need to learn twice.

Used to ride an old John deere. Was the peat for gardening, sale, building or burning? I hear some distill through it too?

It's a you tube embedded video (not a picture) and sometimes they are not recognised by your device

highlandsflyer":3tkkkwko said:
You have individual rear brakes, so you can dab one when needed over rough terrain. Your main problem is kick back from the wheel, which can break a thumb.

Our old Ford has a nasty habit of doing it, especially if I'm working on planted fields. Thumb's aren't the problem for me, it tends to catapult my left elbow right into the inner wheel arch. Damn uncomfortable sensation it is too!

Back