Finsbury Park mosque attacked by terrorist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

technodup":o6e78yd4 said:
Harryburgundy":o6e78yd4 said:
I think a serious question we should ask ourselves - is it time to control our press a little more?
No.

You're quite happy for Squawkbox and the Canary to pump out all sorts of unsubstantiated and biased garbage (which you're posted here) but you want the papers censored because they don't fit your viewpoint?

The very idea of media 'control' is antiquated now anyway. The internet can't be tamed the way newspapers can, in spite of what May would like. Trying to 'control' the output of a dying print industry is simply rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. Futile and probably counter-productive.

Nice deflection. Whilst I agree that we probably do need to look at what is available via online media, whatever you think is unsubstantiated and biased garbage, it isn't toxic, hate-filled, divisive and xenophobic - apart from those far-right sites.

Newspapers remain the primary source of news for many, particularly the right-wing rags with The Sun as market leader with 1.6 million readers a day. If they stop buying the printed version, which is the trend, the same content is available on-line.

So...maybe I should broaden the question. At what point do we permit the likes of The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Star and the Daily Express print/post whatever pungent, biased and xenophobic crap they like under the guise of freedom of speech

Harryburgundy":jau4fmzx said:
technodup":jau4fmzx said:
I think a serious question we should ask ourselves - is it time to control our press a little more?
No.

You're quite happy for Squawkbox and the Canary to pump out all sorts of unsubstantiated and biased garbage (which you're posted here) but you want the papers censored because they don't fit your viewpoint?

The very idea of media 'control' is antiquated now anyway. The internet can't be tamed the way newspapers can, in spite of what May would like. Trying to 'control' the output of a dying print industry is simply rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. Futile and probably counter-productive.
Nice deflection. Whilst I agree that we probably do need to look at what is available via online media, whatever you think is unsubstantiated and biased garbage, it isn't toxic, hate-filled, divisive and xenophobic - apart from those far-right sites.
There's no deflection, it's two sides of the same coin, and it's equally pointless trying to neuter them. Fact is the far left are equally bad. At any EDL type rally they are outnumbered by UAF chumps with masks, inciting violence and holding hate-filled views. They just hate a different group, the EDL. They (and probably you) will claim that's a 'better' hate, that it's righteous and whatnot, but it's still hate and as such they have no moral high ground.

The same goes online. We've got a poster on here who's signature is a graveyard for the rich. And he believes in it. Extremes are just that, neither are better or worse than the other.

At what point do we permit the likes of The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Star and the Daily Express print/post whatever pungent, biased and xenophobic crap they like under the guise of freedom of speech
At no point. If people don't want it they won't buy it. What is wrong with people choosing what they want to buy/read?

Nick Griffin went on QT, aired his views and the BNP sank without trace. The people can make their own minds up without your sanitized, censored version of 'the truth'.

technodup":3dkfxax9 said:
There's no deflection, it's two sides of the same coin, and it's equally pointless trying to neuter them. Fact is the far left are equally bad. At any EDL type rally they are outnumbered by UAF chumps with masks, inciting violence and holding hate-filled views. They just hate a different group, the EDL. They (and probably you) will claim that's a 'better' hate, that it's righteous and whatnot, but it's still hate and as such they have no moral high ground.

Fascists: Kill all the jews and muslims and gays.

Anti-Fascists: No, we won't let you do that.

Technodup: I can't tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back