Wet grinding stones - Replacements

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Finally and after near 20 years of tasking hours to resharpen/hone my chisels I finally opted for a wet grinder.
Not Tormek or even jet, I decided on the cheapest of the cheap - Aldi :LOL:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb52 ... 0wodGNEM2A

The wheel on it is 120 grit. Id prefer 1000 grit or more. Replacement stones, Japanese etc are in the hundreds of pounds for brand names.

I reckon theres a few would use such, so do any of you know of a source of cheaper wet stones ?

Re:

Do you need a power thingy for sharpening chisels?

I don't do a lot of woodwork, but when I was at college, we had a bench in the workshop with three or four whetstones, ranging from course to fine, fixed to it along with a leather pad for honing. It would only take a minute or so to put a good edge on a chisel.

I'm a furnituremaker, in 99% hardwoods that you need a very sharp clean edge on. Sometimes I have to change my cutting angle.

I want to rig up a repeatable fixture to resharpen my planer and thicknesser blades which are 10" ,the wheel on that is 120 grit. I'd need as said above about 1000 which is good for sharpening chisels.

Thanks for the answer.

1000 grit seems an awful lot for HSS. I do my HSS lathe tooling on 43 / 60 grit followed by a quick hand hone. That's for metal working, though, didn't have a bench grinder last time I did my woodworking chisels (I did them on a 120 grit belt on my handheld belt sander, crungy).

Tungsten carbide tooling needs a higher grit, for that I have a cheap aliexpress diamond wheel (bowl form). That's where I'd look for higher grit wheels, but be aware that you will need to dress them when they arrive.

joe careless":20nblix3 said:
There's one in Killin complete with flat blade holder cheaper than the record on fleaby
That is a good price indeed, thanks for the link :D and its got the planer attachment I was needing.
Theres another identical with the same attachment but shorter for £395.

Back