Who Will You Vote For In The Coming General Election?

Who Will You Vote For In The Coming General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Green

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • SNP

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

M-Power":2eete1jy said:
As a Prof Qual Landlord I would bang up the @$$Os who prey on the vulnerable and desperate in need of affordable accom. They give the rest of us a bad name. If you dont like people, look down on them and cant empathise with them in times of difficulty, then you should not be in the business. What goes around etc. Likewise Govts just see us as cash cows, over regulate the good ones and ignore the criminals who know how to play the system.

You might not be trying to do any harm, but that "own someone else's house" is a business model tells me something went tits up somewhere.

It's mental, especially the buy-to-let types. For there to be any money in that the mortgage payments obviously less than the rent payments... meaning the tenant could have just bought the place himself if there wasn't silly buggers going on.

"Need a house? tough, they're all mine. I'll let you sleep in one if you pay my mortgage, and my spending money, and a bit extra for the agents who spy on you to make sure you don't ruin the property value by decorating. Oh, and you've only got six months before I get the chance to jack up the price again. "

A weird thing to be the norm. You start off looking for somewhere to live, end up paying through the nose for the privilege of being a sleep-in security guard for someone else's hundred-grand investment.

I wish you'd all invest in something else so houses can be homes instead.

Bats":22n9v2m8 said:
It's mental, especially the buy-to-let types. For there to be any money in that the mortgage payments obviously less than the rent payments... meaning the tenant could have just bought the place himself if there wasn't silly buggers going on.
You know some people don't want a mortgage? They might move around for work, they don't want the commitment, or they don't trust banks. And that's before the ones who can't get one because they've defaulted on prior credit arrangements.

Where it goes wrong for me is where housing benefit props up the market. I've no issue with people making money on property, but the government shouldn't be providing it.

Bats":22n9v2m8 said:
I wish you'd all invest in something else so houses can be homes instead.
And who would own these houses? The punters? The government?

next door to my old house a man bought the house and turned it into a HMO.
then filled it with people who were in and out of prison.
it was mad that while these people were in and out of prison, their housing benefit was paid while they were in prison.
imagine how much money is wasted on people screwing the system.

technodup":2dhmvyib said:
You know some people don't want a mortgage? They might move around for work

Aye so what you're saying is the same ones who made getting a roof over you expensive, restrictive and insecure have made jobs so shite you're off hopping one town over every six months in need of another one. Or... that's only a minority of people, so the way private rentals work don't suit the majority. One or the other.

I really don't see why we need profiteers with draconian leases and letting agent gestapo to solve the problem of those who move around for work. For one, in a healthy economy that's only a few people because the majority would have steady work. Two, they'd be better off financially in a council property because they are cheaper, and when they were still around, quicker to get.

So in other words, this problem wouldn't exist if it wasn't for ideological commitment to the "free market".

Where it goes wrong for me is where housing benefit props up the market. I've no issue with people making money on property, but the government shouldn't be providing it.

Must be a while since you looked for a flat because "No DSS" might as well be carved into the bricks anywhere worth living. Besides which, government subsidies are the only thing in keeping up the illusion capitalism still works in many types of business.

And who would own these houses? The punters? The government?

The people who live in them? That could be a start. I support right to buy for private-sector renters, in the name of fairness.

videojetman":3g9eqrmq said:
next door to my old house a man bought the house and turned it into a HMO.
then filled it with people who were in and out of prison.
it was mad that while these people were in and out of prison, their housing benefit was paid while they were in prison.
imagine how much money is wasted on people screwing the system.

Lived in a HMO, terrible, don't recommend it, at the time didn't have a choice. You end up with all the restrictiveness of private sector renting but also have to share a kitchen and bathroom with dirty gits if not nutters and wannabe hard men.

Half way through the lease and walked in on a guy with a hitler youth haircut drunk, playing with himself in the kitchen, at 2am. same fella decided the first 3/4 of stairway to heaven needed to be heard from his bedroom to china at 6am.

Re:

I could say a lot on this subject but suffice to say i only take profs and have helped many over the years get their own place, even negotiationg on their behalf to get them a better deal and have made life long friends. Getting a mortgage is increasingly impossible for most of them due to crazy multiples of earnings to get a London mortgage or indeed in many other locations. Estate Agents and the Fin sector are big players in manipulating the market for their own gain. There are some evil cnut Landlords ( hate that word ) but in general most are fair minded hard working people just trying to invest for a pension.

Allowing investment of £Trillions of ill gotten cash from foreign investors into the London propert market, like your beloved Russians Bats, Chinese, Saudis etc just helps to fuel price rises. This has happened ALL over the globe, not just in the UK. Anyway, i predict a big sell off from BTLs from next year as Osbourne has fuxxed us all over, you will be pleased to hear Bats.

The State will never have the resources to build the number of homes needed and its in Developers interests to restrict supply to keep prices high. Even the new Govt Right to Buy and subsidised ownership schemes require a joint income of £80K min. The only real solution is to move where prices are affordable. I hope the Northern Power House schemes really take off. Manchester property is already booming. The future is tax incentives for corporate relocation and investment in the deprived areas of the UK. Job creation and security, build houses etc and leave the South East alone.

Watching that prog about girl gangs last night only reminds me that there is an increasing culture of me me me, I I I, so a dystopian future looks increasingly more likely.

On the positive side, i hope the proposed Dementia Tax gets shelved :)

M-Power":cn7awr68 said:
Allowing investment of £Trillions of ill gotten cash from foreign investors into the London propert market, like your beloved Russians Bats, Chinese, Saudis etc just helps to fuel price rises. This has happened ALL over the globe, not just in the UK. Anyway, i predict a big sell off from BTLs from next year as Osbourne has fuxxed us all over, you will be pleased to hear Bats.

Frankly any Russian with money in his pockets enough to go buying up houses is a criminal. Not so beloved in my book.

M-Power":cn7awr68 said:
The State will never have the resources to build the number of homes needed and its in Developers interests to restrict supply to keep prices high.

Homes at this point don't need building so much as preexisting houses need to be turned back into homes. I'm not afraid of suggesting basically land reform. Hand over your rental properties and you won't get hurt.

Bats":5hnkyhun said:
what you're saying is the same ones who made getting a roof over you expensive, restrictive and insecure have made jobs so shite you're off hopping one town over every six months in need of another one. Or... that's only a minority of people, so the way private rentals work don't suit the majority. One or the other.
There are many reasons why housing is expensive, but it boils down to supply and demand. We have too many people and not enough houses. How you correct that is open to debate. I don't think 'more houses' is necessarily the answer, especially when successive governments have been so bad at actually building them.

this problem wouldn't exist if it wasn't for ideological commitment to the "free market".
It's not a free market. You have government providing homes at one end on secure tenancies and decent rents, and government at the other end funding private lets via housing benefit.

Must be a while since you looked for a flat because "No DSS" might as well be carved into the bricks anywhere worth living.
I've never rented anything in my life. Unless you count a phone line.

I support right to buy for private-sector renters, in the name of fairness.
Of course you do. Good luck with that. Big discount as well I suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back