five excuses not to ride to work

Re:

I used to work at a place that was 16 miles of South Downs Way, away.

It was a blissful commute. Used to see the sunrise at one of the hill tops!

Wonderful

Mike

Re:

I used to commute from Streatham to Islington around 11 miles but probably 13 the route I took, and did it in around 50 minutes.

Mentalist! I would say now.

Showered at work.

Loved it, like you say. My mate Malcolm used to join me for the first stage, and he set a fast pace thanks to falling off at Southwark.

The danger thing can vary greatly depending on where you're cycling. I cycled to work for years through the centre of Bristol and TBH it was fine as most of the time the traffic was too stationary to be much of a threat anyway. 12 miles each way on the Isle of Wight was fine too as it was all just country lanes. Well, apart from one time when I fell down some roadworks but that was my fault for forgetting to charge my lights. When we moved to the South Coast I cycled for about a month from Lymington into Bournemouth every day. That ended with me being knocked off by a car at a roundabout causing fairly serious knee damage and visit number 3 to the frame builders for my poor old Explosif. TBH I was lucky to last that long as the number of dangerous near misses I had was frightening.

I used to do 10 miles each way to and from work on the bike but now I fall strongly in the box 2 category as having move out the city and an into the country my commute has go up to 25 miles each way, and whilst I ride in once or twice a month I challenge you to find anyone who can do a half century everyday on top of a full time job, although part of my brain wonders if an e-bike would work? But Ican't complain I've got some of the UK's best mountain bike tracks on my door step and this time of year I'm happy to drive home and then go out and play on the bike in the evenings.

I used to cycle when I was in London everywhere; To work, Battersea to the City.
Then I moved put to Suffolk. I was still in London every weekend, so would park up and get the bike out for the weekend. Only remember a couple of instances- bus driver trying every think to get bump me off!
Out here I don't trust the drivers. I watch them panic when they come across cyclists. Big trucks, narrow roads, best off road. One of my partners (the youngest) was killed on his bike in 2010 I didn't ride let alone look at my bike until last summer.
Bizarrely I felt safer on the roads in London, because traffic moved slowly and the drivers were used to cyclists and scooters coming from all directions.
My commute is 37 miles round trip. I do think about it.

Those five excuses translated;

I'm lazy.

I can't be bothered.

Too much hard work.

That smacks of effort.

Its easier to make excuses.

I recall as a kid in the sixties and would be up at the crack of dawn to ride the 35 miles to his job as a park keeper on an old 3 speed. I don't recall him moaning about it or trying to think of excuses, he just did what was necessary to get to work.

Back