Wasted youth + 20 yrs + Skateboards = pain.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Seeing as we're all here due to nostalgia, love of old bikes, and a general intent to prolong our childhood(ish),I thought I'd let you know what I've been upto; I started Mountain biking in the early 90s, and by the end of them had started skateboarding. Nothing serious, there were no skateparks in our area back then.

A recent monetary enrichment (blame Nelly, it's all his fault) allowed me to splurge on a new skateboard, the first in 20 years.

So, last sunday saw my first ever trip to a skatepark. And a bruised elbow. A scabbed wrist, and a swollen Knee.

Today, I was doing much better, until i managed to remove the skin from the end of my thumb, bruise my elbow (the same one), and scrape my ankle.

Loving it :) I can still ollie (just) and am tackling ramps for the first time; pumping in the halfpipe, and rolling over the box. Looking stupid, and just ain't care.

Anyone else tried anything silly recently?

I have been tempted by a 'Penny' board. I had something very similar in 1977. Three of us, all neighbours, would race along the street on them with the occasional trip to a newfangled skate park at wanlip. I was crap then so now would be a disaster.

Happy days.

Omg Just found this:

Attachments

• 3C6DBAFC-308B-412C-B996-EF0CF35C412C-2696-00000D09AE169E38.jpeg
    3C6DBAFC-308B-412C-B996-EF0CF35C412C-2696-00000D09AE169E38.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 579
Re:

Tried skateboarding when I was younger...never again. A friend of mine was really into it and mixing with the pros but I was just happy if I could stand on a board without falling off :LOL:

BMXing on the other hand I spent too much time doing

My_Teenage_Self":yz7xk6lw said:
Anyone else tried anything silly recently?

took my 8 year old daughter to a roller disco and somehow go roped into hiring a pair of skates
and 35yrs on from the last time I strapped a pair of wheels to my feet I still can't skate
bamby on Ice sprank to mind

Ive never been on a skareboard, roller skates, bmx, skiing or ice skates but i did do evel knevel jumps (6 inches) on a raleigh chopper (wasnt mine, we waz too poor).

Re:

I was pretty handy on the old board back in 77. Used to get taken to the ramps at the Michael Sobel centre by my mates mother, who had a knack of destroying the car park wall with her Renault 4, bit by bit every week. She was Goldie Hawn type hot though and it was amusing and simultaneously stimulating watching her get so surprised and flustered as she bent over to inspect the damage in her skimpy outfits.

Used to get those US scateboard rags with pics of Eddy Grundy breaking some obscure record. Id head up to the skate shop in Hampstead village to get the new Kryptonic wheels. I felt so 'West Coast' in those days. Just think my beloved sport was in its infancy back then.

Ramps...dont even get me started....jeez...the neighbours and i were always appropriating large pieces of wood to build lethal jumps in the garage. Rusty nails and splinters sticking out in odd places, not to mention using power tools when no adults were around :shock:

Its amazing we are all still alive today :LOL:

Back