Running - advice on giving it a go

Re:

Selling stuff to go for a run shouldn't be a thing.

Don't over think it.

Go to the park, on the grass, run, get out of breathe, rest, run a bit more.

Run up hills, sprint between trees or land marks, mix it up.

Don't get fixated with kit, gait analysis, marathons, hi-viz and pounding the streets.

Get your fitness up, don't get one paced

Three things to answer before you start.

1. What's your motivation?
2. What's your goal?
3. Where are you starting from?
i) So you don't get lost ;-)
ii) What I mean is, what's your base-line fitness?

If you've got answers to those, then it'll help give context and a meaning to the next steps, most of which folks here have already mentioned i.e. walk before you run (literally, if you are starting from scratch), get some decent shoes, get some decent routes / loops under your belt, etc.

I started running about 7 years ago, originally as a compliment to cycling. I'd never run before, not even at school (I used to walk around the cross-country course :LOL: ). I could barely cover 500m without passing out. But 7 years later, I'm doing my third marathon in September (Berlin), have run the Reading half 6 years in a row, and bash out a weekly run between 6-15 miles a week comfortably*. I'm no athlete by any stretch, but my pace isn't too shabby and I've found I'm more fond of longer runs that short. These are things I never thought possible, but all are possible.

Like any cardio work, it'll help with your overall well-being. And your cycling; you'll be able to pedal for longer.

But running is a cruel mistress. Far more cruel than cycling. But that's for another day.

*I say that in severe jest. I'm often creaking for the rest of the day.

Re:

Haha yeah I used to run a lot in school. Mostly sprinting but did a few longer runs. Just watching the london marathon and that group with mental health illness and it just made me want to give it a go. Have decided to do a little bit now to introduce me to it and concentrate on my cycling events then after july wind the dial up a bit.

Back