Running - advice on giving it a go

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Sorry guys me being a pain in the arse again. Supposedly some of you may have seen the mind over marathon program recently and it really got me thinking. I really want to try running. I know I have a few physical problems but I'm sure with my determination and a hell of a goal I can do it (I've got through a lot worse)

If so has anyone got any tips for starting out?

I'll tune in for this one too. I should not run due to bad knees, but it is an exercise you can do at the drop of a hat, as long as the motivation is there, something I need to work on.....

Re:

If you have any kind of knee/joint issues then I'd 100% suggest going to a proper running shop to buy your trainers.
They'll analyse your gait and find the best fit for you.
It may cost you an extra £20 but it could save you a lot of pain

Re:

I have been doing a bit recently as I can't get out on the bikes very often and was becoming very unfit.

I set myself a target of running twice a week. Doesn't matter when I do but if I leave it too late I have to run twice in a short space of time so try to go early in the week then I have the rest of the week to get the second run in.

It will hurt like hell at first but keep going. It becomes much easier very quickly. Start off with a few short runs of only a few km's but try to beat either the distance or time every run, even if only by a few seconds or a few hundred meters. That's how I started at the back end of last year and I'm now up to 5 or 6km easily and am bringing the time down.

Get some light trainers. They don't have to cost the earth but when I swapped from some old lumps I had laying about to some feather weight running trainers it made loads of difference.

Set yourself a target, stick to it and good luck! We will be able to compare notes. :D

Re:

Long story short a long time ago i had a massive mountain bike accident which ripped a load of cartilage from my knees. I've been told surgery is inevitable but I really want to do this while I can as recent events have proven you don't know what's around the corner and I want to make the most of life as due to mental health the last few years have just wasted away and I regret not doing so much. Figured I might as well give it a try as I've got the determination. (better to try and fail than not try at all). Am currently in the stages of planning a long distance cycle for charity for later in the year so running would be a goal for next year.

But be honest guys. if I started slowly now (to see what happens), with a lot of determination do you think there is any chance of me running the London Marathon next year (not necessarily getting a good time just completing it) Only 27 and feels like a mid life crisis already :LOL:

Take it one step at a time:)

Very important dont skimp on running shoes. Get proper ones not flourescent logo fashion trainers. Looking at £70 upwards. If you are getting on a bit, over 45 or got history of knee problems then a gait analysis done which may need corrective insoles.

Comfy sovks,shorts and t shirt and off you go.
If you are serious, then set up diary with easiky achievable targets, run mon, wed, fri and rest in between. Keep to a schedule, Listen to your body, any twinges or pain , then stop and walk back. If pain still there on start of next run, then stop and rest a week.

Stretch before stary and at end.

Weather is

Re:

Cheers guys. Looks like Ill be selling a few things to fund this but it'll be worth it. Cycling is always going to be my priority as thats my heart and soul but this is just something else I want to get involved with. (As well as my photography and writing...yeah i like to keep busy)

If you don't walk a lot, start by walking an hour or so a day for a month or so. Briskly.

And when you run, run, don't jog.

Back