legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I was going to commit suicide.

I'd lost my job, split up with the missus and was having a jolly bad time getting over being the victim of child abuse.

Drugs, music and alcohol took the edge off but something still couldnt quite push me over the edge even with knife in hand.

I was living in an empty house with just myself for company in my old room wondering what on earth to do next. Luckily for me I rang the Samaritans. They were very nice, very patient and really did help despite my reservations about telling anyone how I felt at the time, even close friends couldnt have helped.

That very next day I got a phone call from a former work colleague offering me a job - and pretty much a lifeline out of the bottom - it was uncanny timing. That job ended up paying for the house I'm in. The missus and myself got back together soon after and we've hardly had a bad word against each other since - but she doesnt know about the phone call or how close it got.

Theres bad out there but there is also help when needed and sometimes just having someone listen helps.

:cool:

My mother in law takes calls for the samaritans; it's humbling to hear some of what she hears.

LGF, Nice one for being open enough to post this, I doubt it's easy. My fathers side of the family (basically my aunties and uncles) had a very rough upbringing in the 40s & 50s. All of them have suffered from various mental health issues as a result, and we unfortunately lost an Aunt to it, very nearly an Uncle too.

These things need to be spoken about, and props to Prince Harry for coming out about it recently; it's more common than most people think.

Hope things continue to go well for you bud.

Yep, big-up the Samaritans. They were there for my Dad when he needed them and very long story short, he's still here and not 6 feet under.

Re:

:cool: Glad you're still here fella...you've helped me in the past on several occasions avoid that 'walking' non-sense with your fantastically-priced metal horses. I think it's a disgrace that Samaritans, RNLI etc are charities. Government couldn't give a flying flip.

Latest posts

Back