Biolite camping stoves

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
(For the casual viewer - Camping stove- burns wood- makes electricity.)

Anyone got one ?, or used one.
Bit pricey and a bit big, though I suppose it has to be. But the ability to charge /phone/gps/camera/battery in the middle of nowhere has to rank high in the list af damned good ideas.

Website-
http://www.bioliteenergy.com/

Not always easy to carry lots of fuel or to have an axe and saw on hand. This thing seems to work best of twigs, albeit a lot, but that are pretty easy to come by. And the blower fan once running would quickly dry up green twigs :?

I built a wheel with the XT T780 dyno hub with the AXA Luxx lamp + USB regulator last year for touring. It happily charges a battery pack in daylight riding, drag is imperceptible. It might be worth considering a dyno as an alternative.

Re:

I like the idea. Once they become a lot more efficient, they could add to a set of tools as 'back up'. If cost is not an option, nor weight an issue, why not generate power with every activity you need to do anyway?

The hand wound devices rock for real emergency use, but are not terribly powerful. Mind you, some people might have a better developed wrist action than I do.

I like the idea of a trainer dynamo device you could hop on your bike and power.

The bicycle powered generators are pretty damn powerful.

Logic suggests some form of regenerative technology should allow us to gather lots of lovely stored energy from the long downhill stretches on the touring rides in most places, and the same device can be brought in manually when on the flat if you are on that last few miles to camp.

Has to be the future.

Cool thread.

Aye well it was actually more just the fire aspect of it, rather than the absolute need for power. Im more the outdoorsy type so would be quite content to sit, coffee in hand, in the eve stoking an easy fire with twigs, and getting light from it.
Though I do like that powerbank :? Heres me probably the last person to discover such :LOL:

But cheers for the diversity of answers. As ever you get all the info and more on here :D

For a simple wood / twigs / whatever stove for a brew the Kelly Kettle works really well, the only thing that irritates about mine is the bulk of the thing for cycling. It's great for a beach brew from a kayak though.

Theree are plenty of small wood stoves available - the clever ones fold completely flat.

Back