Garage roof insulating/general insulation work

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all, as spring/summer approaches, I want to get my head straight on how to tackle my goal of insulating my garage/general improvements to make it a more habitable place in the colder months.
Below is an image of how it looked before we moved in:

My main issue is the roof. Is just corrugated sheets (probably with asbestos in) which I don't think need replacing. There aren't any leaks that I'm aware of.
My main questions are:

Can I install some insulation in the roof?
What will I need to do in order to do that (I.e additional roof beams for partitions to wedge the insulation in)???
I want to replace windows too / brick up the two that are facing my neighbours gardens (on the left of the image)
Also want to replace the big garage door. But not sure what with yet. (Upgrade current style or get double doors)....
It's about 10metres long.

The roof is my biggest priority, but the windows I want bricked up seem to sit right under the beams that run the length of the garage. Not sure what I'll need to do about them.

So, anyone embarked on this before? Is it worth tackling by myself (fairly competent DIY'er with a mate who is just as capable/probably moreso!).

Re:

Used sheets of polystyrene 50mm think to insulate my work shop (it was free) ;) but used 25mm celertex for the wife's work room/summer house with fairly similar insulation resultse the sellertex is easy just cut to size with a saw or big shape knife and wedge between the roof rafters :) will cost a few quid for a roof that size though! as for the Windows they should pop out easy enough as there should not be much weight from the beam above, should all be easy enough but be very very careful not to disturb any of those roof sheets!!!
Have fun, and it's soooo nice to have a warm place to work ;)

Re:

Do I need to worry about condensation? Leaving a gap between the roof panels and insulation panels to allow condensation to evaporate?? Will I need some support across the insulating panels as the gap between the rafters is quite large...

Re:

Looks a well built garage. I would prep insulation panels and run them flat across, leaving an accessible void for storage. Put a number of vents in the panels. The floor looks really good too, I would imagine it has a DPM already in place. Condensation is always an issue in 'unheated spaces'. If you are planning to use the space as a workshop a decent size wood burner would render that a toasty warm environment. You may not want to go back into your house!

I would personally leave as much natural light coming in as possible. If security is the issue then other things can be done.

In fact, if it were my building I would be removing the roof at some point and glazing it entirely!

Re:

Is there any ventilation where the roof meets the walls, Martin? What's the gap between the timbers?

We sell 8'x4' osb boards with Cellotex attached, 99mm or 120. As hf says, you can still have some storage above the workshop, and won't be wasting heat in the top of the garage.

Mike

Re:

I was thinking that, I'll have a good measure up. There is a lower section where you see the inspection pit, there are steps to a small worktop area near the back end of the garage that has a sloping roof (not the same type of roof as the rest of the garage). Will get more pics of that tomorrow hopefully.
It's a purpose built garage. I'll see what kind of gaps there are, been vacuuming up the cobwebs round there recently! Lots of spiders eggs....******* disgusting if you ask me :p

Re:

As for the windows, I'd like double glazed upvc. Can always get privacy screens on them which will still allow light through. Not sure about how I'd work on it as that side of the garage actually backs directly onto the neighbours garden.... :/

Damn man, you have an inspection pit! I thought that is what was being covered up. Sod the bikes, get a classic car in there! ;)

Sounds like there is a lot of potential in this building, so whatever you do take your time. Brighton too, one of my favourite places ever. I can still feel the pebbles round and smooth, warm and surprisingly comfortable, under my thin sleeping bag after a night on the tiles, sleeping on the beach. Such a lovely town.

Re:

Well it's about 90% full [of shit] which I'm gradually eeking out until I'm left with nothing but distilled bicycle and small car mechanical pleasures! The lower space at the back end of the garage is either going to be work bench with pillar drill, polishing wheel or even a small lathe, but equally, maybe wood burner and a nice chair type space....It does have massive potential for very awesome man cave shenanigans. The wife keeps giving me things to do around the house, but she's just prolonging the inevitable...

Honestly, for the trouble, I'd seriously look at removing the roof panels, and installing a better roof 'system'. Either pre-insulated metal panels, or as HF said, maybe poycarbonate sheet; you can never have enough light in a workshop.

You can remove the roof yourself, bag it up, and get it disposed of by the local council facility for next to nothing; permits, licences etc only apply if you're a company.

Back