Anyone here fly drones?

Re:

Oooh, that's a serious bit of kit.

One thing that puzzles me, is what actually makes something a drone? You see lots of flying doohickeys labelled as a drone, but appear to be little more than a radio/remote controlled 'copter of some sort. To be a drone I thought something had to have some degree of programmability/autonomy. Does the inclusion of a camera make something a drone?

Re: Re:

xerxes":2b3oe5us said:
Oooh, that's a serious bit of kit.

One thing that puzzles me, is what actually makes something a drone? You see lots of flying doohickeys labelled as a drone, but appear to be little more than a radio/remote controlled 'copter of some sort. To be a drone I thought something had to have some degree of programmability/autonomy. Does the inclusion of a camera make something a drone?

The correct terminology for these is/should be Multi rotor or Quadcopter depending on how many rotor they have, they can be bought/ built as tri, hex, octo. The term drone is now used to identify anything that has more than 2 rotors, they are self stabilising & don't require any special skills unlike single & twin rotor helis, they have varying levels of programmability/autonomy depending on how much you want spend.
The video in the link gives you an idea of what moves they can do.
https://youtu.be/MvRTALJp8DM

iscervo":2sff3j7g said:
The term drone is now used to identify anything that has more than 2 rotors, they are self stabilising & don't require any special skills unlike single & twin rotor helis, they have varying levels of programmability/autonomy depending on how much you want spend.
This is still a drone though. Unless it is a funky caravan.
maxresdefault.jpg

Ah :!: the classic out of context quote ;)
iscervo":mry2h2j5 said:
The correct terminology for these is/should be Multi rotor or Quadcopter depending on how many rotor they have, they can be bought/ built as tri, hex, octo.

I bought mine off a expedition member who figured he had to pay off his credit card a bit more than his minimum payment, bargain but haven't had the chance to get it flying, I'm busy working on the new workshop, other work, household stuff and topped off with the boy having chicken pox...
Oh well, btw I'm closing my storage unit down so bikes are being readied

Back