Home security/surveillance

Re: Re:

xerxes":1rnwl8kl said:
Get your face tattooed, buy a scary dog and put the word around that you are "connected". No one will touch your stuff.

i have a beard
we have a cat
I'm connected on LinkedIn

does any of this count?

As has already been mentioned, if someone wants to steal something from you they will.

There are ways around every security device, and there is nothing worse than being away from your home watching someone go through your things. All you can do is try to deter and insure items so you can hopefully reclaim some of your losses.

You have to bear in mind that if a door for example, is heavily protected, they can and do, go through walls etc, which causes more damage and costs. Bricks are easily removed and not alarmed, and wooden sheds, well, lets just say a couple of freinds keep their bikes in metal sheds now so you cant burn holes in it.

You can buy dummy cameras but they attract attention as already mentioned.

The media purposely generates fear, dont let it control you. How many times have you been burgaled? if you have, look at how they got in and address that.

Nowadays, they will only break in if they know somerhing is there, so be vigilante when leaving or returning home.

Mark

mkone":3iekjbta said:
As has already been mentioned, if someone wants to steal something from you they will.

There are ways around every security device, and there is nothing worse than being away from your home watching someone go through your things. All you can do is try to deter and insure items so you can hopefully reclaim some of your losses.

You have to bear in mind that if a door for example, is heavily protected, they can and do, go through walls etc, which causes more damage and costs. Bricks are easily removed and not alarmed, and wooden sheds, well, lets just say a couple of freinds keep their bikes in metal sheds now so you cant burn holes in it.

You can buy dummy cameras but they attract attention as already mentioned.

The media purposely generates fear, dont let it control you. How many times have you been burgaled? if you have, look at how they got in and address that.

Nowadays, they will only break in if they know somerhing is there, so be vigilante when leaving or returning home.

Mark

That is true but it is estimated that 70 percent of burglaries are opportunistic scumbags which will see cameras and intruder alarm bell boxes as too risky to bother with and move on to the next house which doesn't have any security.

For the sake of £500 you are in effect reducing your chance of getting burgled by 70 percent.

Re:

Not only that but when I was burgled (not technically a burglary if it's a shed iirc) the police asked if I had CCTV or knew of any body around that had it.

Helps out and helps them build the bigger scene.

Back