Carbon frame - bb housing repair?!

zombiemax69

Dirt Disciple
Just bought a Jamis Race carbon frame and forks - like this
cplarrys08_XENITH_RACE.jpg

Much to my disappointment it is missing the bb housing (is that the right name?) Anyone ever attempted a repair on one of these? Or should I send it back... It was only 30 quid, but the seller said to was complete with no damage.

Wouldn't mind having a go at a repair seen as it was so cheap.

pic below (it's a bit of a shed).

29m6kr6.jpg

2hhzq6a.jpg

Hmmm, im surprised the bb shell is not one piece, you seem to be missing one cup. No idea if a replacement is easy to get hold of.

Difficulties i foresee is bonding/glueing a replacement and alignment although if a bb is fitted, then the cup should be in correct place. Youd want to use just enough resin/glue with bb in place, then remove bb and fill gap between bb cup and frame witb more glue, maybe use some fine fibre glasd matt to join frame to cup for extra strength.

If you can get repkacement cup for a few quid maybe worth a try.

^^^^ yes, like that, i searched on ebay for bb30 adapter , looked to me that some were straight tubes withoud a tapered centre.... now i think about it, it shouldnt make any difference.

Question is is the hole 30 mm and how easy to remove the other one.

Glue/resin will hold in in place, fitting a pin/small diameter bolt or two through the frame to stop it from turning.

personally i dont think that would work,the amount of torque going through that area will just rip it out,there is no material at all to bond to on the side with no thread,send it back!

True but with an external bb, the bb butts up agaist the frame so should stop it moving sideways no? And pin to stop it spinning?

Side with missing cup, is that alloy?

It may or may not work, should get partial refund from sellrr as not advertised correctly.

Back