Aging

Re:

^^ Exactly. I used to so look forward to spending summer hols in Ireland listening to my grandparents, especially my granfather's fishing stories beside the fire ( think Jack Hargreaves type voice ) and trips. Gran cooking it all up at the end of a day with floury potatoes and beans grown out back. Nowadays kids just cant get the Ipad out fast enough. My mother is great at encouraging her 4 grandkids to paint, plant things in the garden etc

Re:

Shoot - sometimes I listen to myself think/speak, and wonder if I haven't become simply 'another old person' (you know - the type that complains about "I remember when" ... " or "way back when" ... or "back when we were kids" ...)

The scariest part of it all, really, is that change has been, over the recent couple of centuries, exponentially increasing in pace ... and I somehow think that our relatively set human brains/minds are struggling to cope with all the fundamental shifts in the foundational aspects of life and what it means to be human, because of it all.

:facepalm:

I'm just glad it was nice enough to go for an hour long bike ride here today!

i'm fortunate that my parents never had time for me. my mum has passed on now. my dad disappeared so i dont know where he is.
but i have made peace with my past and made a vow to never repeat the mistakes my parents made.
i try to cherish the time i have now and accept my past mistakes.
that said i do feel for people who have a strong bond with their family and see the fragility of life and old age.

videojetman":221tgzj2 said:
i'm fortunate that my parents never had time for me. my mum has passed on now. my dad disappeared so i dont know where he is.
but i have made peace with my past and made a vow to never repeat the mistakes my parents made.
i try to cherish the time i have now and accept my past mistakes.
that said i do feel for people who have a strong bond with their family and see the fragility of life and old age.

Powerful words indeed. Totally agree about changing things as a parent so you dont emulate the worst traits of your own parents.

Always loved this poem.

This Be The Verse

By Philip Larkin

They fucx you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucxed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

As for the future....AI worries me, to the extent that there will be so much mass unemployment in 20yrs and an increasing and older population. Property will be unaffordable to most of future gens, few jobs, religeous fundamentalism on the rise, increasing wealth gaps, unhappiness and international political and military fighting. But hey...we will all have a personal robot and prolly have seks with them too :LOL:

^^ That poem.

Awful as it sounds, My wifes childhood, and mine, combined with genetic issues on my side of the family is the main reason we don't have children.

Re:

Its a great cathartic release sometimes to discuss intimate personal issues with a bunch of forum bike nuts. A pensive humbling thread this.

....and another thing...this forum has some truly amazing people on it and i dont just mean the owner of a 20th Ani black Klein. We could all do with a humungous virtual hug.

I was having this very discussion with some friends the other night. We all noticed that our 30's were a distant memory and we had all had 'issues' of varying degrees with our parents. None of us had any interest in their welfare.

Now, apologies and be warned, this as hard for me to write as it will be for some to read - please feel free to skip

If I were to ask my father any question it would be:

Why did you rape and abuse myself and so many of my friends, ruining our lives?

I'd ask my mother:

Why did you not stop it from happening when you'd been told and you knew it was happening for such a very long time?

Hard, hard, hard but thats is the way of the world. Some survive the experience, some dont. Some concentrate on hobbies to survive but no one will ever really get over it.

Back