Home security/surveillance

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Been thinking about home security/surveillance systems. Not looking for big bucks setups but, was thinking about one you can access online to view cameras etc...???
Not so fussed about alarm systems (the ones that go off but no one pays attention to). More deterrents and in the event of a crime, something that at least can show evidence and maybe catch a good look at the bastards...
I've got a garage too, so something that can be installed in the house and garage...

What's people already using? Are there pay monthly systems that provide a decent 'webview' portal for a reliable live link or some such thing...???

Re:

I got a Swann four camera system from screwfix for a couple hundred quid last year. I can view the pictures from my smartphone and it has motion detect. However, I use it as an after event source of information as I can scroll through an evenings viewing next day. Great way to find out when the fox is taking a dump on the lawn.

My only (minor ) complaint is that the cameras need a lot of wiring as the power and video feeds are separate. I would consider a more wireless set up next time.

Re:

Ok, thanks for that. My thinking is - I'm not going to be able to actually stop someone who wants to break in, but more slow them down/put them off/not make it obvious there is something worth nicking etc. But also like you say, something that acts as an after event source that helps with claims/police identifying the theiving scrotes.
Deterrents can work both ways IMO. It can put off an opportunist,or encourage a more planned/learned thief as they'll see it as a sign there is something worth protecting inside....
Now I'm talking about it I feel I'm tempting fate, so need some good quick measures to help my conscience while I get a better system put in place.
Also - updating my house content insurance might be a good idea...

Re:

Its a tough call knowing if your advertising the fact there is something worth knicking or making it not worth trying because of the obvious security :facepalm:
I live in a pretty " rough " area and my stuff is in a leaky garage in a compound across from the house and to make it worse there is a well known alley from the town that runs behind it so i know people have seen me working on bikes so i have a bolt and padlock at each corner of the door plus locking the bikes up inside but i still dont sleep easy !

Paul

Burglary has halved in the past 15 years (despite what the Daily Mail may suggest). Key reasons:
1 Home electronics worth nothing, TVs too big to carry.
2 Mobile phones with their owners - valuable, muggings are up as a result.
3 Drug of choice is now Crack: Heroin addicts needing a hit can plan a burglary, Crack addicts are so desperate that they are climbing the walls and cannot.
4 Less and less use of cash.
Probably good quality locks to deter enthusiastic amateurs is the best way to spend your money.

CCTV quality needs to be very high to get something useful (like face identification), especially beyond bright daylight. From a one-man crime wave near me, the CCTV systems were unable to get a decent face.

Re:

I've got a couple ideas for the wafer garage door I have. On long trips away from the house, the bikes go into the conservatory or spare room upstairs and are still locked up! It's the doors and windows plus somewhere for me to lock the bikes up in the garage that concerns me. The house needs some sort of alarm I reckon. Maybe one that notifies you that something has been triggered. We have lots of family around so if we're away and we get a notification I guess we can have someone swing by and have a look which could help disturb or put potential scum off having a go....

Dahua 4 way NVR and cameras would sort you out, you'd be looking at about £500 though. Cameras are IP so you only have to run 1 cat 5 cable to each position, providing you have power in the garage you could use power line adaptors to get IP into the garage. Cameras are 4MP so you'd easily ID someone as its nearly three times better than 1080p!!
You also have to factor in a POE switch to power the cameras,. Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POE-Power-Ove ... SwnipWU0ZS

Here are the cams: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahua-4MP-IPC ... Sw-0xYQl3a

Heres the NVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CH-IP-1920P ... Swo3pWeVov

Don't be put off from buying from china I've probably bought about 40 odd cameras with out any problems

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I fitted a heat and motion sensor in the garage, wired into the home alarm system. The garage itself is locked from the inside for the up-and-over, access via a side door with 5 lever lock and pinned on the hinge side. The small window has wired glass.

The big problem with a garage is that it's so fast to make a getaway that any CCTV footage is going to be limited.

Flossyrockstar":2lppr9fk said:
Dahua 4 way NVR and cameras would sort you out, you'd be looking at about £500 though. Cameras are IP so you only have to run 1 cat 5 cable to each position, providing you have power in the garage you could use power line adaptors to get IP into the garage. Cameras are 4MP so you'd easily ID someone as its nearly three times better than 1080p!!
You also have to factor in a POE switch to power the cameras,. Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POE-Power-Ove ... SwnipWU0ZS

Here are the cams: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahua-4MP-IPC ... Sw-0xYQl3a

Heres the NVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CH-IP-1920P ... Swo3pWeVov

Don't be put off from buying from china I've probably bought about 40 odd cameras with out any problems

1080 is 2M pixel, so 4M is only double the overall pixel, not 3.

But it's actually only 1/3 increase on horizontal or the vertical resolution which is the more important one.
It's better*, but you would need 18M to get a 3x increase in each axis resolution.

*Assuming same CCD pixel size and quality and the same compression.
It's often the compression techniques that kill off the picture.

Turn the power off to the garage and by by PoE, assuming it's visible. That's why better systems use their own power and cabling.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Get your face tattooed, buy a scary dog and put the word around that you are "connected". No one will touch your stuff.

Latest posts

Back