Patina

I do like originality, but if the bike is fairly beaten up then a full resto is a better option, and I can fully appreciate why someone would re-spray. I personally will only buy a bike with the original paint, not that I dislike new paint, its just me. It's got worse, am starting to get funny with replacement decals now, l don't even mind if there slightly faded, heaven help me! But yes I agree the word Patina should not be used as a selling tool!

I've done a couple of full restorations, because I wanted to (the caygill), and because it needed it (the nortelle).

I like how they've both turned out, but must admit that it's a pain (not to mention expensive) to find parts that are in a suitable condition for a newly painted frame.

I'm currently building a 1984 batavus that still has the original paint. It has some scratches, some rust spots, etc but overall doesn't need a respray. I'll be keeping it like that, mainly because I intend on riding some eroica events and would like it as original as possible, but also because I fancy going down the "tidied up but unrestored" route for a change. I can be less fussy about the condition of parts for it too! I guess it could be considered to have plenty of patina, while the caygill and nortelle are "as-new"

Re:

Patina is of course a polite way of describing deterioration. The holy grail bikes have most originality and least patina. Generally speaking the most serious collectors would avoid anything repainted unless it was something very special or rare.

No harm in repainting a tired bike though, although it would have to be in pretty bad shape in my view. The Cinder Cone in my sig was quite rough, worse than it seemed in the ebay pics. I bought a sticker set from Gil_m for a repaint... but in the end elected to touch up the original paint and glad i did.

I doubt i'd ever buy a fully repainted frame. It's a safety issue. Paint, filler, soulder etc (bodged repair) can hide serious damage. Seller would have to prove with pre-paint photos etc the frame's integrity to even consider it.
Did you see the Explosif on ebay a while ago with crushed seat stay? Or the other one with massive top tube dent? Those were scrap frames if not professionally repaired. Someone bought them in that state... So would i bid on a repainted Explosif on ebay? Not a chance. There are too many good original ones about.

Nothing wrong with repainting a good frame but if you want to sell it one day be aware the more discerning buyers probably won't want it unless you have some good pics.

I know the thread isn't about frame repairs or bike values.. but when trying to part with a repainted frame one has to recognize that the buyer has lost almost any chance of properly assessing the frames real condition.

Re:

I'd love to get my Bianchi repainted. It gets a lot of use, more than any of my other road bikes.

However, to get the same pearl celeste paint, the BIANCHI repainted on the downtube and top tube - wouldn't want decals for that - and replacement decals for where they are, would - if possible - be very expensive.

Of course, it would also lead to worry about subsequent damage after the respray. So I have left it as is, with matching nail varnish covering the worst. Sadly now not made, wish I'd bought a couple of bottles now! :facepalm:

Rimmel Green Dragon 241 , if you see any about. Maybe check your Mrs stash later, so to speak! :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

As you were ;)

Mike

I think you would have to be pretty distrusting to think a repainted frame is a safety issue, but I'm not disagreeing that there are some unscrupulous sellers out there. But for most sellers it's a lot of out lay in time and money to go to those lengths and in the UK there is a very good consumers rights act in favour of the buyer.
There is a lot of financial benefit to buying a refurbished frame and it's worth while to ask the right question to make sure you cover yourself.

Re:

I love patina, I love resto and I love refirbed bikes. As long as there's a story or a ride involved that's all that matters imho. In honesty I have a mix and appreciate it all, but I'm happier riding a rough one just I case the pace gets mucky.......or cracks haha

I sold a lovely bike that had all of its ride wear from its original owner from the late 1980's plus a bit of tidying and minor things from me.

The new owner de-personalitied it into absolute boring oblivion by restoring and removing all the patina of its first owner that had survived 20 years of storage and me. It was a real shame and I wouldnt want that bike back - its lost that magic of being period to when things were a bit daft and a bit fun.

What happened to all the sticker bombed bikes btw? All those free decals from MBUK?

Original paint all the way unless its gone past the point of no return

Also reprainting a custom frame is one thing, but a lot of the bikes on here that we all love have very period paint finishes that just don't get reproduced.

I'm thinking the splatter Marin's and koans, the mega gt paint jobs up to mid nineties, zoltans, smoke DBs etc etc

I have seen a lot of repro paint jobs that seem to please the owners, but are gash compared to the originals.

Especially on Kleins.

Back