Oh good grief...

Misunderstanding of cycle lanes rear's it's ugly head again.
A route I regularly use has a pavement with a strip of cycle lane painted on and in 1 km has 2 junctions, an entrance to a garden centre and a fairly poor surface. Fine if I'm out with my kids on bikes but useless if moving on at 'good pace'. So I use the nice and wide road, which is A road spec (as it used to be 60 mph) but is now a 30 limit. I have been beeped at and told to use the cycle lane. They are not compulsory!

Similar to the no tax arguments.

World keeps turning, people gettin' stupider...

61 (cycle routes and other facilities)
Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

63 (cycle lanes)
These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see rule 140). When using a cycle lane, keep within the lane when practicable. Before leaving a cycle lane check that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Latest posts

Back