Didn't see that coming, Nico Rosberg

Re:

I guess you are all right. He did the right thing for his family.

That is a hell of a lot more important than anything else. The reason I don't ride bikes with engines in them so much these days.

Well, that and I am chickenshit.

Rosberg is not fit to lick James Hunt's jockstrap. ..and he didn't even wear one. They didn't come in his XXXL size.

Real men are few on the ground these days.

Reminds me of Mikkkka Hakkkkkkakkkkkkkkkakkkkkkannnnninninninnninnninnninnnn.

Always thought he sounded like a rough two stroke.

Wimps!

Re:

I was surprised when I heard but then thought it is probably the highest he'll get so why not. Had Hamilton not had the reliability issues he'd be champ again. He knows it, Rosberg knows it, the team know it. Go out on top and the history books will back you up.

Hamilton is a dick, but he's the better driver.

Re:

lucked into the best car, got lucky with the championship, knows it will never happen again, no point hanging around.

Re: Re:

RadNomad":q859ughr said:
lucked into the best car, got lucky with the championship, knows it will never happen again, no point hanging around.

Are we talking about Rosberg, or Damon Hill?

Mike Muz 67":p1f36rm5 said:
RadNomad":p1f36rm5 said:

At least Hill didn't have the FIA, the red team and Bernie making sure he was constantly one

To be honest it's the same for most champions.
Except Button as Button/BrawnF1 was one of the nice things to happen.

KDM":3bxazwt3 said:
I remember when Marco Simmoncelli died in moto gp in Oct 2011, it upset quite a few moto gp riders and the following year Casey Stoner crashed heavily at indiannapolis. Casey retied at the end of that season with one of the reasons given that he was a young man with a very young family and he wanted to enjoy his family.

I suppose when you are at the top and constantly on the edge of a dangerous sport there becomes a tipping point where the "I see no risk" of youth catches up with you and reality catches up to what you could lose.

Nico has more than enough money, can always come back in a few years but for now family is important. I don't blame him for walking out on a high.

Stoner announced his retirement prior to the Indy crash when he was the reigning champion and current championship leader (Lorenzo won it in the end), but yeah, the similarities are there and fair f**ks to both of them for having the strength of character to bow out at the top. Most sportspeople grow up thinking that's the way to do it but very few actually do and prefer to top up the retirement fund for a few years before calling it a day. Eric Cantona is another one who springs to mind.

He'll go down in history alongside the likes of Button, Hill and Villenevue, a good driver but not one of the greats and who lucked into the best car and has a drivers championship to show for it, but in 20 years time we'll be talking about Hamilton being one of the greats and Nico will be able to say "he was my teammate the year I won the WDC" [drops mic]

FluffyChicken":1ad4se1y said:
Mike Muz 67":1ad4se1y said:
RadNomad":1ad4se1y said:

At least Hill didn't have the FIA, the red team and Bernie making sure he was constantly one

To be honest it's the same for most champions.
Except Button as Button/BrawnF1 was one of the nice things to happen.

Double diffuser!!!

Re:

And ? Had the best car at the start, but they soon where not. It was not an outright whitewash through the season.
But
Very few people where upset that Button/Brawn won the title was the point.

Re:

I like Button and I'm glad he won but I don't think his case was an exception to the whole 'driver with the best car wins'. Yes by the second half of the season the rest had caught up but he won 6 of the first 7 races. He did have to fight for it after that though.

Back