Picture special: History of the Volkswagen Camper

well,you go and drive a t25 and then drive a t5,then see what your choice would be,as for faults,i have had nothing gone wrong with it,and every car has faults if you start looking into them on the net.
or to put it another way,if i got rid of this one,i would replace it with another vw T5,thats how much i like it,awesome.

bren":3geaj3pp said:
Wedge ive heard of, and occasionally use.
Wedge, brick, vanagon, T3, T25... I don't care what you call it, I just wish people could agree cos it gets 'kin confusing talking about those things between the bay and the T4

Just ignore the silly names.... it's a Type 2 T3, although anything after 1972 looks rubbish anyway. ;)

al. :D

I have a '95 T4 non turbo Diesel. It's hit 150k and never missed a beat until the alternator died last Summer - but I forgive it for that. Is as solid as a rock. We love it.

It was a van but I converted it into a camper too. Keeping it's flexibility I designed it so I can take the seats/speaker units and camping kit out of the back in 45 mins and its a bare interior for moving whatevers needed. Don't how we would manage without it. It takes us all camping / cycling etc. Carries coal, logs and I can get the kids home from school with their bikes on the back all in one trip if I have to! It's fitted with a dark carpeted interior to hide the rigours of day to day life ;) I have been on mad 'Ebay runs' across the uk shoving two sofa's in it - buying and selling on the same journey!

Its simple & young enough to be reliable but old enough to fit it up yourself and look tidy if you are careful.

IMO:
Older vw's (t25 and on) are a labour of love 9 times out of 10 with the amount of time/£ you have to invest. There are exceptions but hey.

To buy and fit bits to a newer van to customise it for your needs and it still look rather than bodged good means shelling out more.. I also wouldn't want to chuck a ton of logs into a t5 :)

Vws are ace. If I had to choose between one or a car? I would take ANY type of Vw T series any day.

Does anyone post on here from the splitty scene? I'm trying to trace an old camper (1959) of mine reg 406 DNY which i know is still on the road, apparently in the Nottingham area as of a couple of years ago. I just want a photo of it :cool:

swannymere":3m6cs2e4 said:
Does anyone post on here from the splitty scene? I'm trying to trace an old camper (1959) of mine reg 406 DNY which i know is still on the road, apparently in the Nottingham area as of a couple of years ago. I just want a photo of it :cool:

I would put a post on " the samba " forum someone must know who owns it now!

Good luck

Ant

swannymere":2dgfkj8k said:

I see you've been on VZI.....Some one in the SSVC will know where it is.

al. :D

Re:

It belongs to my brother nowadays, do you have any photos of it when you had it?

Attachments

• IMG_5119.JPG
    IMG_5119.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 337
Back