Heating Your Space?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Our latest 'space', with no current fireplaces in situ, needs heating while we are working in it, and we are looking at propane space heaters.

Once we work out how we are splitting up the area we will be using wood burners, but for now these are fast and clean.

Anyone run these?

I used them in fabrication workshops with good ventilation but I'd not recommend them in small spaces without good ventilation due to CO2 build up. Plus when the bottles got low we had to put them on their side to fully empty them.

Plus they actually create damp -- may not be a problem in your space, but my concrete garage was NOT a nice place to be with one on. basically, one of the exhaust products is water.

Re:

I have similar problems; went for electric oil filled radiators.

Would have gone for electric fan heaters as they are the fastest to
remove chill, but they kick up
all the masonary / wood work dust.

Re:

We are in a 2000m3 odds space, currently, until we partition off some of it. Just looking to provide fast heat for the hours we are in working. I have used them before in smaller applications, but like the cost of both the units and the fuel for this application! Very well 'ventilated', ahem, due to having lots of drafty holes..

Re:

post not clear
are you living in your place or just working?
if doing work propane will be fine wouldnt recomend if sleeping
infrared heaters are remarkably good

Attachments

• heater.jpeg
    heater.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 540
highlandsflyer":1955sgu7 said:
needs heating while we are working in it

highlandsflyer":1955sgu7 said:
We are in a 2000m3 odds space, currently, until we partition off some of it. Just looking to provide fast heat for the hours we are in working.

Those little infra red heaters put out how many KW?

Re:

This is perfect for a careful Scotsman :LOL:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11dqKJrulk[/youtube]

^ The tealight/plantpot heaters are extremely dangerous. I wouldnt recommend them.
The reason is the heat builds until the candles themselves melt, leaving a pot of burning wax. The other thing is the superheated air inside can flash.
Might become a problem claiming your insurance if the whole place goes up in flames :LOL:

Propane space heaters.
Theyre about £150-200 though, but very good and very cheap to run.
Last joinery workshop i was in had one. Our only heating in winter and very very welcome :LOL:
Whacks the chill off it.

Also check out down tube systems, that will help too.
Invented some 20 years ago by some bloke in his factory. Consists of plastic drainage pipes and a fan on top. They hang the height of the ceiling and sit a foot or so off the ground. The small fan draws the heat from the ceiling down the tube and out the bottom. Supposed to help cut the bills a fair bit.

Re:

Cheers Dyna,

On a cost basis the propane units work out well. Hopefully by spring we will have wood burners in place.

Used diesel space heaters long term, but the other half hates the smell.

Might have a chance to work on some bikes. Bikes. Yes, I said bikes!

Back