Aberfan, 50 years on

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
I didn't even know about this disaster until a week ago. Joined others in a minute's silence earlier today.

Unthinkably tragic.

How could no one be held to account for this from the NCB? They new it was unsafe.

So sad for the families and friends of the victims.

I wonder if companies can be brought to account for possible consequences these days, given the risks that nuclear waste and fracking create.

Mike

Re:

It was terrible, and watching a programme on BBC this week, it's scandalous that no one was fully held to account.
Working for an engineering firm, I know people who felt compelled by the events in Abervan to study and join the industry to ensure these things didn't happen again.
I think there are now much stronger protections in planning, consequences for companies/individuals, Health & Safety etc. now than there were 50 years ago.
EDIT : to add that the Radio 5 piece from around 9.30-10.00 this morning where they spoke to witnesses and those whose families were impacted was a very powerful bit of radio.

Re:

Yes , I was listening to the Radio 5 programme this morning as well. The tale of a miner digging, bare hands, in the hope of finding his daughter and being bothered by a reporter as he did so was so gut wrenching. How he could have the nerve to try and bring a case against the miner for lumping him one, is beyond all comprehension .
Heard earlier in the week about people hitch hiking across from miles away in Merthyr to help dig. So many sad tales.

I wonder with the upcoming Hinckley project being built by the Chinese and French, just how much power the HSE would have. No one wants to upset the Chinese, think of our trading with them. Wouldn't want to rock the boat! As for the French, they're always upset with us for one reason or another!

Mike

Re:

I was five when this happened, it's one of my earliest memories on tv and still extremely moving to this day.

Mick

Back