Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

We've been looking for a house for a while now, this morning we did a quick search in West Yorkshire , and came up with one in Keighley. Nice tinkering area outside, detatched, big garage for tinkering when it's sh-t outside - welll it is 'up north ' after all - but best of all, there's the option of a LONG COBBLED CLIMB up to it! :cool:
What's the snag?
Can't see one.
Time to do a job search.

Mike

Serious question: Are you from Yorkshire and white? If so, you will probably be fine.

I found Yorkshire the most unwelcoming and racist part of the country I've ever lived in. My wife, south east asian in origin, would get physical and verbal abuse. Our house was targeted by local youths throwing stones and paint at it. I'm white, but while out walking with the missus - cars would slow down and shout abuse out of their window.

Jobswise, I don't think it is fantastic - but you are in commuting distance of other places.

We live in rural North Wales now, and despite the reputation - it's a world away from West Yorkshire. A breath of fresh air in more ways than one.

The yorkshire you found does not sound like the one I know and live in.Most people in Yorkshire are friendly and welcome outsiders.I cant see too many parts of the country accepting the amount of immigration that parts of yorkshire has without serious problems. Serious problems that we do not have.Yes we have the odd idiot but then so does Wales.You have probably just not met them yet. All I can say is that if you are happy enough in wales then fine . Come on in Mike.You will find some of the best folk on the planet and why we call it Gods own country.
Peter

Re:

jeez greencat sorry to read your view;;sad really but yorkshire is diverse
as some would say.
i have lived in Hartlepool and it was a great place,the street where i lived
but not so nice else where.
if you come to yorkshire try Harrogate, but if you can buy there you can buy anywhere :D
on a side note bradford keighely area is sketchy

Try North Yorkshire :)

Lovely part of the world, look around the vale of Pickering, easy commute to York for jobs, also plenty of work in the smaller towns, Malton, Helmsley, Kirkbymoorside, Pickering and amazing road and MTB riding in most areas

House prices aren't too bad unless you start looking within the National Park, they get a bit pricey then

My neighbours were Malaysian and White English and certainly never aware of any issues, we're quite nice folk really :)

Re:

No idea about west yorkshire, it's quite different to east yorkshire but good luck with the job search if it's anything like here.

Finding a house is the easy part.

Re:

The downside of living somewhere like Keighley is ( or than being near Bradford) choice.

Do you ride in The Dales, The Peaks or the NY Moors?

Back