Car has been standing unused for one year and...

My vw (different car altogether, a bora, shares a load of hardware) started second time after 18 months sat in an unheated, damp, garage. Regularly froze in there during the winter (long cold winters, regularly down to -10 in the garage). Did an oil/filter change, new battery and a coolant change.

Then did another 3000 miles before we sold it. Passed an MOT, serviced with no advisories.
Still see it around. (The guy who bought it happens to work on the same site as me)

Re:

Meh, finally got around to pumping the tyres up today, and charged the battery for 6 hours. Dashboard lights on but the starter motor didn't turn :-(

Disconnect the battery then re-charge. Has it got an alarm fitted that needs resetting so it doesn't prevent the starter solenoid being isolated.

Bullpup":2w4jznw6 said:
Disconnect the battery then re-charge. Has it got an alarm fitted that needs resetting so it doesn't prevent the starter solenoid being isolated.

I did wonder about an alarm...pretty sure not but will check

Starter solenoid could be stuck. Factory immobilizer usually stops the fuel pump along with some engine management lights to tell you that the car hasnt detected the key. Theres a copper coil surrounding the key area that detects the chip in the key itself and this communicates to one of the ECUs (theres probably 3 on the Golf) which then decides whether to start the fuel pump along side the basic mechanical operation that turns the engine over.

Put it in 2nd and get someone to give you a push at the same time as turning the key to start the car or find a convenient hill.

*edit: cars havent really needed aftermarket alarms since about 1997 when factory fitted immobilisers were fitted as standard. Cars these days get yoinked by by purely electronic means via a laptop.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... arget-vans

Thanks LGF and BP

The car is auto

Pulled off the leads to charge again today and an alarm sounded in the engine bay...stirring to life?

Gonna give the battery more charge but like you say, I think something is immobilised

Arse

I do now know that it has covered 69k and full stamped service history

Re:

Mmm

Had a similar problem with my 4motion. sorted it as follows.
Disconnect battery for 20-30 mins (as discussed before)
Reconnect.
Keys into ignition and turn till dash lights ect come on.(do not attempt to start).....Immobiliser warning shows as before.
Leave keys in ignition with ignition on and after 20-30 mins or so it should reset immobiliser.

Make sure gear lever is in park or neutral. Shift it back and forth a bit as the switch may have stuck - this will tell the ignition what the gear box is doing so you cant accidentally start it in gear.

Sometimes you also need to put your foot on the brake too.

Back