eBay postage (again I suspect)

misteroo":28cod715 said:
Most 2nd Class parcels are £2:80 and EBay's default setting on the iPad is £2:80. I've sold a few things recently of various weights and they have all come in at £2:80. If he wanted more for the item why didn't he start it at £10 ?
I'd call him a dick and give negative feedback!!!!!

I'd see your dick, and raise you a big dick.

Not sure that sounds quite right though.

Then appeal to Ebay who would agree with my opinion of dickishness and remove the negative.

Leave positive feedback but give one star for 'how reasonable were the shipping charges' and then mention that he overcharged for postage in the comments. Life's too short to go down the paypal dispute route.

Clearly the guy is pissed off at paying the (frankly ridiculous IMO) charge on postage. So he's quoted £10 to you to cover his costs and has listed it at £2.80 to avoid fees.

If £10 was agreed pre-sale and you paid it where's the argument? No-one can pass comment on whether he's overcharged for postage without knowing what was being sent. Could be a bike frame for all we know......

Leaving neg feedback for this would certainly be dickish.......

Slightly off-topic, but ebay/paypal doesn't help itself with keeping buyers happy with the P&P charges, does it? As others have said, ebay charges sellers 10% on the postage cost, plus paypal takes its share, around 3% I guess. On top of that, paypal forces you to use only signed for services for even the least valuable items (otherwise the buyer can just claim the parcel never arrived and ebay refunds them automatically). So that's £3.90 minimum for a small, lightweight parcel. That means to avoid paying yourself to post someone else's item you have to charge around £4.50 to break even - that's without taking into account packaging, time, driving to the post office, etc - personally I don't increase the postage cost for this but I imagine some people have to.

The last few items I've sold on eBay I've kept a track on the charges and fees to get a handle on how much I've actually pocketed from the sale and it works out about 14% gets taken for fees (final selling fee + postage fee + paypal fee).

You must have known you were being overcharged on thr postahr, obviously the total cost made it worthwhile to buy.

You are right to be annoyed but in short: tough titties.

Thanks for the responses.

As several have said, not worth getting bent out of shape for a few pounds.

Re:

Depends really what service he said he was going to use for a tenner - if he said it was a tracked and insured service and then just sent the item 2nd class and not recorded....

I say this as I recently bought some jewelery off ebay that said it was insured postage, turned up having been posted large letter for about 90p. Item had to go back, I had to send it recorded and insured!

As others have said though, decide whether it's worth arguing over in the long run, guy's obviously a bit of a twit like the one I had to deal with, not worth the hassle, put it down to experience maybe....

Back