Mansion Tax, Oh Boy What A Gaff!

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Andrew Neill getting stuck into Andy Burnham on this, and I can see why.

What a ridiculous idea when people in this 'country' have been encouraged into investing in property by both Labour and the Tories over the last forty years.

Now they plan to penalise people for doing so.

Re:

It's an easy solution isn't it just Tax the successful people and we will end up like the French where Professionals tell their children not to bother just get an average job and be happy

Re:

Better than taking money off poor people surely? ie bedroom tax. How much is it going to be?

Re:

I'm sure I heard a figure of 1% on new builds of £2million+
I can't see that paying for much...

I'm all for persuading developers that small houses are the way to go though. A neighbouring village is having a few posh "barrett" houses built on an ex mushroom farm next to the cricket pitch. The developers'/parish council's idea of filling their affordable housing obligation is a couple of £500k 3 bedders.
There's plenty of building land available within the green belt. Every village has some space . Heaven forbid it should be used to house "poor" people or involve cutting edge architecture.
"People like Us only!"
OT rant over.

The idiocy of it is that it could be taking money off 'poor' people. £20,000 a year from a household who happen to live in a house that has a value arbitrarily attached to it thanks to an artificially stoked housing market.

That could be several generations of the same large family living together who happen to have a large house they scrimped and scraped for and are trying to live in it as a home.

Why should they be penalised because they choose to live together?

Re:

Can't see that being commonplace. But I can see elderly couples in very sought after London postcodes being caught out.

As a former taxi driver - the new builds of the last 15 years are atrocious. They were built to '1.5 cars per household' legislation which has resulted in cars everywhere, cramped housing and just plain awful housing estates, perhaps worse than the 1950s/60s London overspill estates.

England has the smallest house size per person in Europe, the houses that are built now are cramped when compared the the overspill days.

The Mansion Tax will create nothing.

Just listening to PM on R4, the labour mouthpiece Andy Burnham has yet to answer a single question directly - all hail the unflappable Eddie Mair

legrandefromage":vlxlw7ui said:

England has the smallest house size per person in Europe, the houses that are built now are cramped when compared the the overspill days.

Yes, but we have more bathrooms per bed than anywhere else. No bidets mind, or wardrobe space...

Glad to this is at least one tax I'm not going to be hit with,,,thought u paid a thing called stamp duty based on the value of house your buying,,just don't stop does it ,,,

Back