GT Tequesta- any idea what year and is it worth some TLC?!

chug666

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

First post (hello!), but I've lurked for a while and have a long and colourful history of re-homing unwanted bicycles... Anyway, I have just rescued this from an untimely trip to the metal skip where i work. Brakes and drive chain are toast but the frame seems pretty tidy and the paintjob is... eye-catching. I can't pass a GT in need, I've always loved the look of them.

Z2QTAz2.jpg

(Apologies if I've ballsed up the link, I'm better with bikes than the internet).

In the cold light of day, when the excitement of the rescue had diminished, I've had to admit to myself that the frame is way too small for me (not measured yet but i'd guess 16 inch ish), so it'll either be a fixer upper for the OH, or a clean up and sell on. Not knowing much about pre-2001 GT's, is this worth the effort, or have I let my sentimental side overrule common sense?! Any idea what the frame would be worth if i take off the knackered parts, check it for dings and show it some love?

Cheers!

Tequesta was a decentish thing about £500, but that one looks like it's lost all the Tequesta level parts.

I think you're right (looks like it has been a bitsa for a while...). Do you think the frame might be worth a bit of effort, and then popping on ebay?

chug666":3uxgcwuc said:
I think you're right (looks like it has been a bitsa for a while...). Do you think the frame might be worth a bit of effort, and then popping on ebay?

no.

£10 at best, free at worst

Re:

Haha, appreciate your honest assessment! I'll probably still have a tinker, spotted it has old school internal cable routing and an odd rear brake setup which has piqued my interest!

If anyone can hazard a guess at the year I'd be keen to know.

Update on the Tequesta... I started stripping it down over the weekend and immediately hit two 'challenges'; the non-drive side crank arm is well seized to the bottom bracket, and in the attempt to get it off I managed to strip the thread from the arm. Not good.

More significantly, the alu seatpost is very well set in the frame. Having wrestled with recalcitrant seatposts in the past, I tried a variety of lubricants and heat treatments before resorting to more extreme options- chopped the top of the post off, tried a variety of adjusting hammers to get it moving, cut a slot down the exposed post to compress it, levered the frame edges to get oil into the gap. No joy, hasn't moved an inch.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome, otherwise I may admit defeat. the aluminium for the post is super thick, which really doesn't help!

Back