Near Mint c'97 Gary Fisher Joshua Z1 (USA) with XTR Set

mardave8080

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

First of all, apologies for joining and immediately asking this question - I think this is the right area to post in and hope when you read the circumstances you'll forgive me.

I've been referred here by my local bike shop, as I have a timewarp bike, with a high-end spec, in near mint condition and need to know what it might be worth.

Throughout the '90's I rode a succession of Gary Fisher bikes, until I had a Joshua Z1 built to my spec (adding various bits of XTR kit) by the guys at Swinnertons in Stoke-on-Trent (U.K). Unfortunately, my job changed about 3 months later (after a handful of rides) and I was left with little time for riding and then (worse still) I was diagnosed with a form of bone cancer - I hoped to get well enough to start riding again but the years have passed by and the bike remained dry stored under a dust sheet in the garage - I'd look at it every so often and think 'one day'. Well, thankfully I'm still alive and kicking but last year the cancer spread to other bones and now there's no way I'm gonna be safe to ride again :(

Spec as follows:
Frame: Gary Fisher Joshua Z1 (USA made) in T6 Alloy - Small (98cms/saddle, 70cms/seat post)
Front Shocks: Manitou Xvert
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Deluxe
Brakes:Shimano XTR V-brakes
Shifters: Shimano XTR Rapid Fire
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Cables: Goretex Ride-On
Crank: Shimano XTR
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR (from memory but can't be 100% after all this time).
Cassette: Shimano XTR
Hubs: Fr - Wilderness Trail (Grease Guard), Rr - Shimano XT
Rims: Fr - Bontrager Valiant 26", Rr - Bontrager Asym Mustang 26"
Tyres: Continental
Headset: Wilderness Trail (Grease Guard)
Handlebar: Bontrager Comp 2014 T6
Bar Ends: Gary Fisher
Saddle/Post: Wilderness Trail SSTX/Bontrager Comp 2014 T6

Bike Weight: c12Kg

Here are some pics:

When I bought the bike, the final bill was knocking on the door of £3,000 - I know I won't get anything like that now but most of the bikes I see on eBay are heavily-worn 17+ year old bikes with the standard Z1 kit, whereas mine has lots of XTR kit, with very little wear - apart from some crazing on the edges of the tyre treads and some splits in the ends of the rubbers that cover the cables entry to the V-brakes (where you remove them to drop the wheels out) you'd think it was less than a year old - it really is in stunning condition!

Any thoughts on what's a sensible price for such an unusual retro bike?

Many thanks, Mark

Attachments

• DSC_1927_01.jpg
    DSC_1927_01.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC_1935.jpg
    DSC_1935.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC_1936.jpg
    DSC_1936.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC_1937.jpg
    DSC_1937.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC_1939.jpg
    DSC_1939.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC_1944.jpg
    DSC_1944.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • DSC_1945.jpg
    DSC_1945.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • DSC_1949.jpg
    DSC_1949.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Hi there fella, I'm not sure I'm best placed to give advice as I'm new to this malarkey. I feel sorry for every bike I see and want to buy them all which is financially and spaicially impractical!
Anyhoo the only insight I can offer, is by way that I bought a Z1 frameset (incl rear shock and subframe) for £40 delivered off eBay 6 or so months ago. Yours is very noticeably nicer than my one, but good enough that it would clean up with all decals present etc. If your frame we could say is 96%, mine by comparison would probably be a 75%er.

I'd think all the Xtr would do best, the forks are very tidy looking, wheels and sundries all add up, but the complete bikes just don't seem to fetch the same money. The josh URT will be an acquired taste to a limited few, where many will be looking for individual items of your componentry!

I could never bring myself to buy a complete bike, just to part it out, or to get a few items I require, I've invested too much into creating memories by riding them I guess, giving inanimate objects a soul with the story they've been part of with their owner. Unfortunately, I guess that's where you'll get the best financial return back for your Joshua.

All the best,

Mick.

Re:

Hi there Mick, thanks for your reply!

I guess I could break her down into components, just seems like a crying shame when the bike is in such fantastic condition as a whole.

To be honest I didn't really want to be breaking, listing and shipping bits everywhere but if that's the only option... :( Despite their age in years, the components have seen the bare minimum of use and as anyone can see from the pictures are almost like new.

I know exactly what you mean about inanimate objects tho' - to the rider they become more than the sum of their parts.

Take it you're going to build up your Z1 at some point?

All the best, Mark

Hi Mark, I get the emotional connection that one feels in their bikes, by proxy too tho! It would pain me to see a pride and joy split by someone else as much as it would my own! I guess I've just got it bad.
Nail on the head, though in terms of supply and demand, the excellent parts will make triple, what the excellent frame will. There was a Josh frame and spare shock for sale on here recently, from the EU for like 100euros, I don think the seller had a single bit of interest.
I will be building the Joshua at some point, I'm going to give it my friends adopted son, who's called Joshua. It'll get the best of what I've got lying around at the time and a story that he can pass on, about his first "big bike".

Cheers, good luck fella, M.

Re:

Hey Mike, thanks for the headsup regarding the parts values - useful info if I do end up having to break her.

Pure coincidence but I mentioned it to one of my neighbours and he might be interested - he had a look and couldn't get over the timewarp condition and suggested maybe c£350 - 400 for the whole bike in the condition it's in (looks like a new bike) - so I guess it depends what I could make for the individual parts Vs what my neighbour and I could agree for the whole bike.

Having said all that, I'm not sure which would be worse, tearing the bike down and posting bits here and there, or seeing someone else riding it and wishing it was me...

BTW: Really nice idea about building up the Josh for your friends adopted son - I'm sure he'll always remember his first 'big bike', as we all do - in my case a red Royal Enfield that my Dad rebuilt for me for Christmas. Happy days.

Anyway, thanks again!! :D

Mark

Not a thing Mark, I've been of little use, I think that's a good guess for the complete article, granted it by rights, should be way more. For myself, it'd be worth taking the hit and selling complete for a couple of reasons A. If they would keep the bike for a long time and not just try to make money of the bits. B. Pass on the story about where it came from, your story and where the bike was built, the love that it was built with, etc.
Also would mean not having to box up and post all the individual components, which I can't, personally abide!
Alternatively, stick it on eBay with a fixed reserve of 500 (to cover fees) on it, see what it does. It'll find its price if someone has a sentimental connection with it, if two do, even better. If it doesn't sell then you can accept the neighbours deal with the knowing that you tried.
Don't be disheartened, it's a really very tidy bike with excellent parts and all over condition, sell that baby with confidence, as you should be proud of it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it might be to a couple of sentimentals, a bit like us!

All the best chief.

M

Lots of desirable parts on a not-especially desirable frame (although it's in excellent condition)

you'd potentially get more for the groupset on its own than you would for the complete bike...

cce":3i2v8bkb said:
Lots of desirable parts on a not-especially desirable frame (although it's in excellent condition)

you'd potentially get more for the groupset on its own than you would for the complete bike...

Sad but true.

Re:

Thanks all - I've put the bike on eBay for a bit to see if there's anyone out there who wants it in all its glory - I'm not especially in a rush (it's been sitting quietly in the garage for 20 years :D ) so it's worth trying that route first.

Failing that I'll see if my neighbour and I can agree a sensible price or last resort I'll start stripping her down - not something I'm keen on but if it comes to that..

Thanks again to you all for your input, Mark

Back