1989 Kona Cinder Cone Pricing Help Please

RetroGra

Dirt Disciple
Hey All,

I am after some advice as I am being told my Cinder Cone is well over priced.

Maybe I have been too personal with it but I looked online and saw others in worse condition for more money so thought I had pitched it well, but alas, the community is telling me different on FB.

please could you guys give me a steer on what I should be asking for this lovely bike?

Pic attached:

18" 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 837
Before all this plague nonsense i would have said about £120 tops. However there is a demand for bikes at the moment and some seem to be fetching relatively good money. Prices are all over the place but instead of looking at prices others are wanting for their bike, mainly based on the above comments, it is often better to look at the sold prices, which range from £100-200. Based on that, if you are wanting to actually sell it, and if it is good condition, then you would be better lowering it by a few hundred and aiming for the £200 mark, which is decent price.

Re:

Thanks for the reply,

Of course I am more than a little disappointed in this valuation as I have seen Lava Domes sell for £275 on eBay recently and an'89 Fire Mountain went for £250 on the FB group.

I am going to put it back into my collection as I wouldn't let it go for £100-£200 when the wheels and seat would probably fetch that alone on eBay.

Thanks for the input, maybe it just means more to me than others

Usually that is the case, and sadly a lot of bikes get broke down and sold in parts just to make a bit more money. Howerver, i doubt you would get £200 for some low end wheels and a saddle on ebay.

And like i said, it is a £120 bike, the prices are higher at moment due to the madness, when that washes over it will still be a £120 bike. You could put it on Ebay at £200 starting bid with a higher reserve on, always good way to judge demand and worth?

Re:

A quick search on eBay tells me otherwise but thanks for the input.

Always good to get others' perspective.

Re:

I think around £200 is fair, maybe £250 at a push. The bike has non-original wheels and shifters.

Some during 'peak Covid' may have gone for more, but normality should return.

SP

Re:

I sold my last '90 Fire Mountain for around £120.

A couple of early 90s Explosifs went for £400-£500 at the start of lock-down. Which is why I've not put my '93 model up for sale!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

mk one":3ksqz1fc said:
RetroGra":3ksqz1fc said:
A quick search on eBay tells me otherwise but thanks for the input.

Always good to get others' perspective.

Glad you got it sorted :D

And just for reference, though your search seems to show different, the last two Cinder Cones around the same year as yours that actually sold on ebay, both in the last few weeks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Cinder- ... SwEt9e764K

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Cinder- ... SwEt9e764K

You've used the same example twice . Thats cheating :LOL:

And aye, a couple of hundred quid,, though for the quality there you'll not see that for that buying now.
Besides, its dependable, reliable and familiar should you use it for anything.

But unfortunately it won't fund a 2 week all expenses paid vacation to Vegas. and whats a couple of hundred quid today ?. Less than a pair of decent brakes.
I'd hang on to it and if youre looking for something more modern, then buy that too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back