1989 Stumpjumper Team

Jaushaug

Retro Newbie
Hi all. First post.
I recently picked up this cherry Team Stumpie and was originally planning to just ride it on MUP's occasionally. Now that I know how nicely it rides, I'm getting the itch to change some things up and ride it a lot more! I'd first like to make sure that I'm not ruining a collectible bike. What is it worth? I haven't found any similar for sale, or already sold, online. Other than the pedals, tires, and saddle everything is original. The shift & brake lever bodies are discolored (greyed) slightly. I've found a source for decals, so I can replace them if that increases the value. Should I restore it and stop riding it, or is this a rider?

Josh
Texas, USA

Attachments

• 20200126_122817.jpg
    20200126_122817.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 826
Hi that's a nice-looking bike from the 80's, with an interesting period paint job. My own view is that I would keep it as standard and original, as far as possible. (apart from the usual consumables!)
If any of the original components need serviced or adjusted, I would get that done, rather than replacing them with stock new, and then ride it as is. My own 1990 Specialized Hardrock is largely as per original, and still regularly used by my son, my sister, and sometimes even myself!

Back