Bontrager Racelite OR prob 1989 can't remember

Its gorgeous , but probably less than you might hope.

As you may know I've been looking for a Race Lite for a while and the prices for the frames are not strong - a really nice 95ish one went on facebook for USD 200 and a very early one with riveted cable guides went on ebay for about £270.

I'm not so good on XTR values but the STI's regularly go for £100+ so a full group must be £300-400.

I so I reckon you'd be looking at £800-1000 for the full bike.

EDIT - That is absolutely the best colour too.

Re:

Thanks - I love the colour too. I’m interested in the riveted cable guide thing. Bearing in mind that this is serial 00020 it must have been very few bikes which had earlier form......

The frame number on Bontrager frames tell us next to nothing. There is no way to determine age and buildyear just from the number :) Still pretty nice bike but I would agree with the above posts when it comes to money.

Usually splitting the whole thing brings more cash im your wallet...

Good luck!

Re:

My mistake, the riveted cable guides were on the original OR models, before the race lite was introduced.

Does yours have horizontal dropouts? That would make it really early

Re:

Yep, it has the flat plate dropouts which Keith insisted on, two overlapping pieces of flat plate welded together.

Re:

Caemis - splitting? SPLITTING?

Nope.

Not this one. Was torched in Santa Cruz, fitted out in SF and then shipped back. Far too much history to split.

As I say, RetroGrom has made me swear no sale on this one. He wants to keep the AMP B2 as well, but that may be negotiable - this one is not. It stays. Too chock full of memories.

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":rzvj74u7 said:
Caemis - splitting? SPLITTING?

Nope.

Not this one. Was torched in Santa Cruz, fitted out in SF and then shipped back. Far too much history to split.

As I say, RetroGrom has made me swear no sale on this one. He wants to keep the AMP B2 as well, but that may be negotiable - this one is not. It stays. Too chock full of memories.
Sorry! :facepalm: I read your first post in the morning and forgot about that your questiom was just curiosity.

Nice bike, not sure about the price of the frame or year, im sure someone will be able to tell you.

Like above, there is more worth in the parts on there own. Some of the parts look in ok condition too so should add value and being more modern than the frame, assuming it is an 89, then probably not as desirable as if the spec was period correct.

If it has a lot of sentimental value then you should keep it together :)

Mark

Re:

Well this was the sequence. Bike was built up in 1992 using the then new xtr group set - which currently is immaculate on this bike. The frame was unhung since it was torched and this was the first build up - I know the provence but not completely - it was 1989 and held back by kB and then given to someone in the bike industry - built up in Bay Area then brought across to uk. I used it in Sussex mainly on the road having put 1 inch slicks on it. I think it’s ‘period’ throughout - it’s not usual for a frame to wait 2-3 years to be hung.

Back