Merlin Taiga bike, as seen at the Malverns

Velofello

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone, here’s my first post as a longtime lurker / admirer of nice old MTBs.

(Update - I can’t add pics, so have posted them to my little website www.velofello.com - then click the Merlin tab)

I have a 18” titanium Merlin frame which I ehad since about ‘98. But for the last dozen years it’s been a stripped down mantle piece ornament.

As you’ll see from the pics it’s all in very good condition - although the decals have been rubbed away over the years, but being titanium this is not unusual.

I rebuilt and rode it for the first time in years for the Malverns. Some of you saw and admired it (the only Merlin there, it’s always been a bike that gets admiring glances :)

To rebuild it I raided old parts boxes for kit, all roughly corresponding to the vintage - though much more used (Flite saddle) or frankly perished (original grips and early Gripshifts)

What really does set it apart though is the frame, SID fork and Middleburn / Hope cranks combo.

Although it’s gorgeous, and in an ideal world I’d keep it forever, I really feel that it deserves a good owner who will appreciate and ride this true classic.

I realise that for max ££ I should strip it and sell separately- but I really want to avoid that. Here’s a great blank canvas that you can test ride immediately and upgrade / refurbish at your leisure.

I’d like to see it go to it’s new ‘forever home’ as is (and maybe drool over it in really pristine condition as next years Malverns Best of Show!?!)

So, what do you guys think? Does anyone know who might want to make a sensible offer? What even is a sensible offer?

Over to you!

Krien aka Velofello

Back