GT Tequesta- any idea what year and is it worth some TLC?!

chug666":2fjnic2g said:
More significantly, the alu seatpost is very well set in the frame. Having wrestled with recalcitrant seatposts in the past, I tried a variety of lubricants and heat treatments before resorting to more extreme options- chopped the top of the post off, tried a variety of adjusting hammers to get it moving, cut a slot down the exposed post to compress it, levered the frame edges to get oil into the gap. No joy, hasn't moved an inch.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome, otherwise I may admit defeat. the aluminium for the post is super thick, which really doesn't help!
first: congrats to the bike. i'm also into old gt's (before millenium) and i do own a karakoram with the same color (called inferno).
from my experience (worked quite a couple times now): don't cut the seatpost. put the frame upside down and fill the seat tube with coke (no matter which brand :mrgreen: ). wait! let it rest 2 weeks, perhaps 4, perhaps renew the coke. finally (still upside down) fix the seat post in a vice and twist (carefully) the whole frame around. mostly even the seatpost remains usable.

good luck :cool:

Back