IRD seatpost

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Another topic got me wondering about this one:

31.6, silver with black head clamp assembly, good condition.

Intrigued what originals are valued at?

I know there were repros produced recently, and they were around 200€ I think, do original IRD posts command a premium, or are the new ones considered as good as the originals and therefore the older ones are worth the same / less?

Interested in thoughts from the IRD crowd - I know there are a few on here!

There were repro Ringlé QRs produced within the last few years, and they seem to sell for pretty similar prices or less than original versions depending on condition, but I'm thinking IRD purchasers may be more 'select' than those who buy Ringlé QRs and therefore are prepared to pay more?

Not wanting to put noses out, and not making a judgement either way, just a genuine query!

Yes, originals have a premium over the repros. But - the repros are seriously good, maybe better than the originals, so they are much easier to find in a good/mint condition (since they are new). An original in the same condition would be more expensive.

One thing is original vs repro, another thing is diameter. The most popular sizes are most expensive, as always. 26.4, 26.8, 27.2, 29.4 is best, as far as I know.

There are also one überpricy version here: the 1st gen 1st series that was made in Winter, California in 83-86(?). In stead of the seat post diameter, it’s stamped Winters, Ca. Good luck finding that one!

Original is definitely worth more. Last year I bought a NOS 29.4 original, let's just say it cost more than a 'new' repro sells for.

Yes, definitely more expensive as an original than repro. But - just got offered an original 29.4, black, for $100,- so not necessarily either

Re:

The repros prolly are better made than the originals but they are much heavier too. Agree with the above, originals are the most valuable. IRD invented the much copied twin bolt clamp design back in 83/84.

Haaland":19bddt1z said:
Yes, definitely more expensive as an original than repro. But - just got offered an original 29.4, black, for $100,- so not necessarily either
What condition is it in and why don't I get offers like that?* :(

*2nd in line on the post :LOL:

Back