Home made CNC bike parts ~ old school style

bat40a6

Retrobike Rider
A little hobby of mine that has accelerated since aquiring a mini CNC mill...

Inspired by Grafton, Paul, Ringle etc. The Cantilevers have roughly the same geometry as 986's.

My next step is to produce a few pairs of the cable carriers / hangers and get them anodised, some in purple with silver cable clamps and some in black with red cable clamps.

I will then mod the brakes slightly while creating a low profile version with similar geometry to Grafton / Record OR, probably keeping the main arms silver but the little bits in purple :) I might make some cyclocross versions, depending on how it all goes, motivation / other ideas etc...

Anybody who knows good anodisers in the south east, material suppliers, spring wire suppliers that may be of use please let me know!

Attachments

• DSCF2284.JPG
    DSCF2284.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 9,865
  • DSCF2286.JPG
    DSCF2286.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 9,865
  • DSCF2289.JPG
    DSCF2289.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 9,865
  • DSCF2291.JPG
    DSCF2291.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 9,865
extra pics

Attachments

• DSCF2282.JPG
    DSCF2282.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 9,860
  • DSCF2277.JPG
    DSCF2277.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 9,860
  • DSCF2290.JPG
    DSCF2290.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 9,860
  • DSCF2292.JPG
    DSCF2292.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 9,860
Hmm as an engineer with 10 yrs experience using solidworks and many ideas on custom MTb components, are you open for comissions? Or perhaps a partnership of mutual advantage?

Thanks for the link, I was thinking of getting some stans 355 rims anodized then chucking some other bits and bobs in too. I might also try A1 anodising in Crawley. It would be good to keep the cost down on such small parts, they could just be done with a batch of other stuff as I am not in a hurry.

Solidworks is a big step up from what I am using :) Most stuff from Graton aand Ringle was quite 2D and so is the stuff I do. I just produce .dxf files on CAD then run them through software called Lazycam to get the CNC files. There is a lot of manual work after that. My material selection and judgement on thicknesses / strength come from comparing existing designs form Paul / Avid etc. It can be a very time consuming process!

The pic below shows the oulines of the brakes, the tool paths were worked out for the different coloured layers, all 4 arms were included and machined out of the same lump of 2" wide aluminium. It took quite a few hours....

Attachments

• brake outline.jpg
    brake outline.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 9,793
nice work

arceurotrade kx3 or similar? mach 3 ?

http://www.springmasters.com/
these guys have a huge selection of stuff ,might be of use

made these

P1010269.jpg

P1010276.jpg

Nice Machine Tech look, it takes a lot of effort, what did you do for bearings and springs?

I have a Taig 2019cr mill and am using Mach3 on my old desktop PC.

I thought it would be easy to get some torsion springs like the ones used in shimano cantilevers. They seem hard to find and low quatities seem to be expensive. Mine use 2mm diameter steel wire bought from a model shop. I think the wire is normally used for control rods on radio controlled aircraft. I just need to get the same but in stainless. The spring tension is perfect.

I see there are also some home made machined stems in the main forum, hope to see more. I might start a blog for future updates on what I produce.

Regards

ahh a tiag

i've home cnc'd an x1 mill ,bought an x3 with the intention of cnc'ing it
but never had the time
i also built a small 200x300 gantry router i use for engraving
i run dolphin cad/cam & auto cad ,tho i sometimes use solidworks and rhino
deskengrave is i nice free program for engraving as well

i do have 1/4 million £ hermle 800 at work along with 3 interacts
thats where the stems were done

i do a lot of motorcycle bits too mostly yamaha lc stuff too

home cnc its a whole other waste of money

fun tho