my xt m760 cranks gritted and polished to mirror wet look

cannondale king

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i got really depressed looking at the cranks as they where so scuffed and scratched so after average mark said about someone elses xt cranks being polished and looking good i though bugger it im going for it it took 4 hrs for the non-drive and 5 1/2 hrs for the drive side i started by removing the anodizing and bigger scratchs out with a dremal and sanding wheel with 280 grade papers followed by 320 grade then 600 grade then 1200 grade then 2000 grade using disc brake cleaner as the solvent to keep things going as the grit papers where wet+dry after all the surface imperfections where removed and then polished with soft cloth and autosol to achieve the best possable finish i could get and i got this

Attachments

• DSC01050 (Large).JPG
    DSC01050 (Large).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,065
  • DSC01053 (Large).JPG
    DSC01053 (Large).JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 3,065
They look very nice, well done mate. I have a few cranks that I want to polish at some point in the future. The only thing I wonder about is how quickly the highly polished alloy will oxidise and begin to dull. Perhaps it would be possible to give them a clear coat to prevent this, or perhaps it won't happen? ?

Very inspiring though. I actually find myself looking at cranks in poor condition with a view to buying them specifically with a view to polishing them :cool: .

There is also a pic on here somewhere of of some XTR 960 (i think) cranks with a really nice powder coat finish which could also be an option.

New to the forum but a lot of experience mirror polishing motor cycle parts.....BELGOM ALU is the best polish I ever found as it leaves a protective,but non visible, waxy finish to the aluminium.....works great...in the rain you can see water beading up on it.....bit of a wipeover afterwards and you're good to go

Looking good ; I'm going to do my LX at some point when I can be arsed . Will probably stick to a 240 grit as any smoother is wasted with ankle rub .

I actually have a set of middleburns I need to find the motivation to polish at my feet right now .

this is the last set I did down to 400grit .

00006-3.jpg

Eddie King":yzeb1583 said:
New to the forum but a lot of experience mirror polishing motor cycle parts.....BELGOM ALU is the best polish I ever found as it leaves a protective,but non visible, waxy finish to the aluminium.....works great...in the rain you can see water beading up on it.....bit of a wipeover afterwards and you're good to go

i use belgom alu and chrome i get it localy from this little motor bike shop good stuff used to use it on the rebal my one and only motor bike long gone now, but god it was hard keeping it shiney i had every bit of ally and steel highly polished to mirror was show perfect :cool: :cool:

Re: my xt m760 cranks gritted and polished to mirror wet loo

cannondale king":1ukzwkgm said:
took 4 hrs for the non-drive and 5 1/2 hrs for the drive side

they look pretty good. but 9.5hrs?

just a trial run to see how good they would look no biscuits my missus and mother have put me on a diet iv'e gotta drop from 12 1/2 st down to 11 st :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: so im no longer "lovin it" with the golden m :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back