Titanium Manitou 1 Forks

archmike

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

A little back story before the pictures, The year was 1995 (i think?) probably one of the last endless summers of my youth spent thrashing around every day from dawn til dusk on my beloved brand new ridged Zaskar Le (stolen 3 years ago :-((( from outside my front door). Given the limited income of a 16 year old (aka bank of mum & dad) i had to prioritize on the build of my ride and the front suspension was just too much to ask for back then.

until.....one sunny afternoon heading out for a ride on the local trails with friends, an old man shouted to me and my friends calling us over to his house to take a look at our bikes (my Zaskar Le, a Cannondale Killer V 500, a Diamondback something?? and a custom painted Slingshot). Now I know what everyone is thinking, because we where all thinking the same thing!!?!?!??!? Fortunately for my future retrobike collection we didn't ride off in the opposite direction and instead accepted his offer to take a look in his garage (yes this does sound very dodge)

Now what my friends and I where about to see inside the old mans garage I can only describe as the mountain bike equivalent of that chain e-mail about the vintage cars in the barn!!!!!! which if you haven't seen basically all you have to do is image any top end bike or component and it was in there ANYTHING!!!! Klein's, Slingshot's, GT's, Cannondale's, an amazing single speed titanium Kona Hot I think?

After hours of green eyed dizziness looking through the greatest collection of bikes I have ever seen the old guy decides that my Zaskar needs a set of suspension forks to finish it off, so he starts hunting round his vast collection and pulls out some Manitou's which to be honest i didn't recognize at the time and then starts pulling my bike apart to fit them for FREE.

I vaguely remember at the time he said that the forks came direct from the U.S. and had custom titanium hardware, inner legs and steerer tube. Given at the time I used to rebuild my bikes constantly it wasn't long before i'd switched the forks for some Rock Shox's with more travel because if i'm honest i didn't really like the Manitou's.

So for the past 15 years they have been collecting dust in my parents house until last year when I stumbled across this forum and have spent hours trying to build my collection of childhood dream bikes. Given my rediscovered love I have started to dust off the old parts and thought it was about time to post them on here to see if anyone can tell me more!!!!!!

All the photographs below where taken today, i'm not sure what to do with the forks now they have been rebuilt, maybe sell them on or buy a suitable frame to marry them to any suggestions as to what frame would be best would be much appreciated.!!!!

Attachments

• Img033_1536x2048.jpg
    Img033_1536x2048.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 3,003
  • Img031_1536x2048.jpg
    Img031_1536x2048.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,003
  • Img022_2048x1536.jpg
    Img022_2048x1536.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3,003
  • Img002_1536x2048.jpg
    Img002_1536x2048.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3,003
Wow they are nice. Are those the original elastomers too? Great story too btw, ever though of tracking this old fella down? He might still have his collection or perhaps already be on here.

Yes they are the original elastomers and I've got a few spares which seem to be in perfect condition too. As far as the old guy goes I have been thinking about tracking him down ever since joining retrobike last year. As you say he could well be a member, this all happened in St.Helens in the North West of England and the old guy would be in his mid 60's now I would guess? if anyone has any ideas? Also I'd like to know if anyone has seen manitou 1 forks with titanium legs before? I'm guessing they are not a production model?

i too was 16 in 94/95, and yes, the last summer hols before college was the best yet, bliss, and great story

I sold a mani3 fork steerer/crown with a 1in threaded ti steerer a while back. they were pretty priccy BITD

They look identical to my M1's

Slightly more polished as mine were fairly abused when I got them.

You still in St Helens - the wife's from there and we journey down regularly

I've never been able to get the legs off mine and the elastomers are mush so they just compress and don't allow purchase on the bolt, any chance of some pics of dismantling?

Ta

boxxer":u59esin8 said:
I've never been able to get the legs off mine and the elastomers are mush so they just compress and don't allow purchase on the bolt,

Ta

Unlike Judys the elastomers in Mani 1s have no impact on ability to remove the bolt, it's a single bolt that runs the length of the leg into a threaded hole in the dropout. Either you aren't getting the long allen key into the bolt properly (which is easily done) or you've already rounded the hole in which case it's going to be a lot of fun getting it out.

Once you get the bolt out the easiest way to remove the mush is with very hot soapy water, a stick and a rag, then clean out with white spirit.

twas a lovely bike that Zaskar! think i still owe you a spoke ;)

have still got a pic of me somewhere doing a no-hander on that up at fixby woods in huddersfield on quite possibly the best days mountain biking ever!

have you still got that full sus turner replica frame you made too? :LOL:

nice story about the manitous.. dont think i ever heard that one!

Back