Hope disc pics

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just thought I'd post pics of the Hope ATD I'm fixing up, I've contacted them for the broken support arm - ever hopeful!

The disc is solid steel, just to negate the light weight of the T6 cast caliper.

It is sitting on the original Instruction leaflet, which I came across the last month - this is what started the dose of TLC my bike is getting just now.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=25186

I got a reply from Hope :) :(

Hi David,

This would have been one of the first batch of disc brakes we make in 91/92. I would say that is has lasted pretty well. Unfortunately we don't have any mounting brackets left, although we do still have pads in stock.
Sorry but it might be time to retire this brake.

This is the response I gave...
Thanks for the reply, I'll take 2 sets of pads.

I guess I'll need to repair the bracket again. Last time I tapped 2 short steel rods into it and my mate wrapped it in fibre glass, it lasted another 2 years, he does carbon now so it should at least look better this time.

I can't retire this brake, it is Hope history.

I, and the forum I joined, might be interested in other early Hope (pre 2000) stock you have,... www.retrobike.co.uk ... you could advertise it in the "For Sale" section if you want to do a stock clearance, of course please give me first shout on anything you have :)

With a bit of luck we might get some Hope NOS stock put up in the Forsale section.

Memories stoked!

Hah! I remember this brake well - I bought one of Paul Hinton (Raleigh MTB Teamster BITD) and had to drive all the way from Chester to his house in Wirksworth, Derbyshire to pick it up, I was that determined to be the first in our gang to have a disc brake!

Shame I never got it to work very well - stopping was okay but the hissy fit noises it always made drove me back to cantis....

Happy days!

Neil

mrkawasaki, I don't suppose you have any of the parts left? I need the support arm as Hope have run out :(

If not I need to make one as I've misplaced one of the 3 broken parts I had "safely" put away.

Mine was quite smooth and not very noisy but the pad wear was really uneven, I did grease it quite often though. Got it in December 1991 the hub has been in constant use since and it still going strong on its original bearings.

Back