Uber Retro Wheel Build

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm not sure if this is something to advertise, but I built my first ever 3 cross wheel last night :D

NOS Ringle 3DViolet 32H SuperBubba Hub, M231CD, Sapim DB spokes and 3DViolet nipples.. Awesome..

Amazing sense of achievement really; truing it vertically, then horizontally*.. Thanks to my LBS and their Jig to do the job properly.. Looking forward to riding it on my Psyclone :cool:

* I'm sure I don't need to explain the semantics to the majority of you.. :oops:

Attachments

• ringle4.jpg
    ringle4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,446
  • ringle.jpg
    ringle.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 4,446
  • ringle3.jpg
    ringle3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 4,446
  • ringle2.jpg
    ringle2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,446
I enjoy building wheels until the last bit of truing - then it completely p*sses me off :evil:

Disc wheels are easier to build - it doesn't really matter if they're not perfectly true.

:cool: Wicked wheel builld!!!

Love building wheels, even do other peoples to keep me calm when life seems a bit fast paced!

Stick Legs":2huigzes said:
:cool: Wicked wheel builld!!!

Love building wheels, even do other peoples to keep me calm when life seems a bit fast paced!

Haha I totally agree, it was like meditation! Came home feeling like the Zen Master.. It were almost as if by truing the wheel, I was truing my qi at the same time.. :p :LOL:

I don't use a jig.

I lace trailing first, then leading.
I tighten all the spokes with a screw driver until only 2 threads show over the nipple.
Then working valve hole to valve hole tighten with a spokey 1/2 a turn until the spokes are tight 'enough'.
The wheel then goes in the forks of the bike it will go in to be centered in both planes. 90% of the time it is near as dammit.

A little bit of truing and bob's yer uncle! One built wheel.

Never let me down yet! (touch wood)

I do the same as stick legs - but I learned on a jig when I worked in a shop... I've probably built a few hundred wheels.

I still enjoy it.

I have another Ringle hub in blue that I'm planning to lace to an M231 with black nipples this time ;)

I'm liking this wheel buildin' business!! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back